Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Anyone hiked in Iceland? Need help

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Anyone hiked in Iceland? Need help

Postby somethingrandom » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:43 am

Hey all-

I am headed to Iceland in a couple weeks and would love to get some amazing hiking/climbing in but the info is quite sparse.

It looks like there are a couple companies that do guided routes up Hvannadalshn├║kur (highest point) but the info, even on SP is limited to say the least and it looks like the main guide company charges a FORTUNE for it ($700-800USD for a day).

Anyone been climbing in the country or have any info on it you can share?

Thanks a ton!

Brian
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Re: Anyone hiked in Iceland? Need help

Postby teedublya » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 pm

It might be too early in the year for it but I thought the laugarvegur trek was pretty amazing. It goes from Landmannalaugar to Thorsmork.

Postby BenfromtheEast » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Hey Teedub, are you Tiger Woods? Just curious.

Postby ules2025 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 pm

I've been to Iceland three times over the past few years. For Hvannadalshn├║kur, I've had good success with the Icelandic Mountain Guides. They charge about 27000 krona for a climb, which is cheaper than most. It's a difficult mountain to solo, given all the crevasses.

Check this out: http://www.mountainguides.is/DayTours/MountainClimbing/

I've done some cool hikes in the interior, near Askja. To get there, you can fly to Akureyri or take a bus/rental car along the Ring Road. AMAZING scenery! Not many people check out the eastern and interior parts of the island, so I would definitely recommend it.

You can PM me at ules2025@gmail.com, if you want to talk more.

best wishes!