Mt Whitney current conditions

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Mt Whitney current conditions

Post by nyker »

Holliewd wrote:I climbed Whitney first week of June. Got to the middle of the switchbacks and had to turn around because I didn't listen to everyone that told me to bring crampons. I don't care what time of year, I'll take crampons next time. First mtn I've ever bailed on.
Bummer. So you have unfinished business! I might be out that area in August, if you're going to give it another try and want a partner, let me know.
Holliewd
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Holliewd »

Pm me, I totally have unfinished business and would love a partner. It's long but totally doable. Technically nothing and water almost the entire way. Problem is getting the permit. Do you have one?
"I'd rather be sitting on my motorcycle thinking about God, than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"
Justin9
14ers: 58  2  5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Justin9 »

I've been looking at getting out that way for a Whitney attempt in late September. There are permits available then for day or overnight. If I can make it happen, I'd like to spend a few days in Yosemite while I'm out there. If anyone wants to talk about putting together a trip, pm me!
johnt
14ers: 33 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (2)

Post by johnt »

I summitted Whitney on Aug 29.

Trail conditions: Very warm down low, pretty cold and windy at the summit. My Clifbar was at the hard-to-eat stage because of the temp. No snow, but there had been a dusting the day prior. No water above Trail Camp. We had good skies, but the next morning the smoke was so bad we couldn't see the mountain from Lone Pine. A small shift in wind direction is all it takes. I'll take a curious bear over a marmot any day! They were really a nuisance.

The big negative was how many people ditch their wag bags. I was appalled. I actually bought the smaller Opsack to put mine in, and it completely eliminated the odor. I just threw out the Opsack with the wag bag, happy to have made that investment.

It was really a great trip, and the mountain is so very different from those in CO. Unless you're into the challenge I wouldn't try for the entire 22 miles in one day. Those that I saw doing it were not having a good time. Just like a fine wine or a lover, it's better to savor the experience. Because my brother was coming from LA and had no acclimatization, we set off in the afternoon, camped at Lone Pine Lake, then at Trail Camp, and summitted and came out on day 3. It worked really well.
There are quite a few hidden campsites at Trail Camp downstream from the tarn and far right. Go up and over the small ridges. Much better wind protection and privacy.