Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Dave B » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:56 am

nickdanforth wrote:Just finished re-reading Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods"

Big fan of that book. Hilarious and all too true.

I highly recomend his "A Short History of Nearly Everything," even for those not interested in science he makes it amazingly entertaining.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Peak Fitness » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:04 am

I've been reading the weather forecast every weekend throughout the summer and it has been a bad read. This summer has sucked!

Postby nickdanforth » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:21 am

wooderson wrote:That is a funny book... If you liked Walk in the Woods, you should check out Bryson's "In a Sunburned Country," which is all about Australia, particularly all of the nasty vermin that reside there.

Yeah I actually just read that one too. I've got grandparents in Australia so they recommended it to me. I'm a huge Bryson fan.

davey-rocket wrote:I highly recomend his "A Short History of Nearly Everything," even for those not interested in science he makes it amazingly entertaining.

That was the first Bryson book I read. Incredibly entertaining!

Postby Point North » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:37 am

Just read Whiteout: Lost in Aspen, by Ted Conover

http://www.amazon.com/Whiteout-Lost-Aspen-Ted-Conover/dp/067974178X/ref=sr_1_44?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325352761&sr=1-44

This is a fun account by a guy who spent a few years prowling around modern Aspen, rubbing elbows with the filthy rich and famous, as well as the modern bum, and his observations about how the Aspen of the past has changed.

Postby Fairlight » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management

"A founding text of Victorian middle-class identity, Household Management is today one of the great unread classics. Written when its author was only 22, it offered highly authoritative advice on subjects as diverse as fashion, child-care, animal husbandry, poisons, and the management of servants. To the modern reader expecting stuffy moralizing and watery vegetables, Beeton's book is a revelation: it ranges widely across the foods of Europe and beyond, actively embracing new food stuffs and techniques, mixing domestic advice with discussions of science, religion, class, industrialism, and gender roles. Alternately fashionable and frugal, anxious and blusteringly self-confident, Household Management highlights the concerns of the ever-expanding Victorian middle class at a key moment in its history."
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby j babu » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Just finished Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. I realize it's maybe not on every climber's winter reading list, but if you're a patient reader (it's about 550 pages), this classic crime story is amazing on many levels. The plot unfolds in six parts as a remarkable web of events and unlikely relationships sure to grip even reluctant readers. But where Dostoevsky really distinguishes himself is in his ability to reveal the inner psychology of a diverse cast of characters. It's not light reading, but definitely worth the effort! Plus talking about 19th century Russian literature is sure to enhance your taciturn image at the tavern.

Postby 14erFred » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:03 pm

"Into the Silence," by Wade Davis -- it's a brilliant, spell-binding, in-depth analysis of the British expeditions to Everest during the 1920s, filled with historical intrigue, psychological insights, and little-known mountaineering facts. I can't put it down and wish it would never end. It's an awesome book, and I highly recommend it.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby geojed » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:58 pm

The Will To Climb by Ed Viesturs very good book that goes more in depth into the psychology of climbing and the conquering of Annapurna

Postby JDip » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:00 pm

MOUNTANEERING: The Freedom of the Hills
50th anniversary

Great book, it dives into all areas of mountaineering and is loaded with information.

Postby Johnson » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:12 pm

"BEYOND THE MOUNTAIN" - House..... excellent read so far.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Flips » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:03 pm

And I thought all this time that you people did nothing but hike and climb mountains...

Seal Target Geronimo, by Chuck Pfarrer

PreviousNext