Team: Roger J. Wendell (aka "ZeekZilch") and Nate Trailhead: Woods Lake to Navajo Lake Weather: Some sun but mostly rain, snow and graupel! Time to Summit: (from Navajo Lake) 3:55 - almost two times longer than expected based on my July climb up both Wilsons...
In an attempt to finish-off #58 before winter, I'd been watching the weather for two weeks hoping for a sunny weekend. The sun did make an occasional appearance but it ended up being so wet we lost the audio record function on my camera, Nate's entire camera went dead, and Nate's cell phone never worked again despite drying it out on my car's heater. Oh, and my sleeping bag became so soaked, before reaching camp, it was only useable as a waterslide...
A very thin layer of rime ensured that even walking across the relatively flat boulder field, just above Navajo Lake, was a treacherous act inviting at least a broken ankle. Despite the rime, and a layer of snow too thin to support an ice axe, we made it to the top in good shape.
YouTube video here and one other one at the bottom of this page...
If all you see is white space here it's because your boss has blocked YouTube videos! (Scroll further down and you'll see the regular pix I've posted)
Here's a video of Nate climbing up the couloir - unfortunately it was at this time that all the moisture disabled my camera's audio recorder...
Parking area Woods Lake
Nate walking alongside Woods Lake
Nate coming up to the trail intersection
El Diente with a "dusting" of snow
A closer look at the peak...
Weather moving back in again
Nearing Navajo Lake
Nate at Navajo Lake
Nate making his way up the couloir
Nearing the top of the couloir
Nate double-checking the route description
Nate nearing the ridge
The summit with a small pole/flags on top
Nate on top
ZeekZilch finally finishes #58!
Nate trying to stay warm...
A cairn leading the way down
Looking down the couloir
Looking back up the couloir
Another storm moving in behind us as we leave the mountain
The storm intensifies enough to soak us again as we lose elevation
A sun-break gives us just enough time to take down our camp
"The Tooth" still receiving snow as we leave the area...
Nate and I walking through the rain and the mud...
Thumbnails for uploaded photos (click to open slideshow):
Caution: The information contained in this report may not be accurate and should not be the only resource used in preparation for your climb. Failure to have the necessary experience, physical conditioning, supplies or equipment can result in injury or death. 14ers.com and the author(s) of this report provide no warranties, either express or implied, that the information provided is accurate or reliable. By using the information provided, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless 14ers.com and the report author(s) with respect to any claims and demands against them, including any attorney fees and expenses. Please read the 14ers.com Safety and Disclaimer pages for more information.