Poll: Worst TH Roads, Seasonal, and Alternatives

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

What are the toughest TH roads besides Como? Pick up to 3, and share photos, comments below, please.

Baldwin Gulch (Antero)
15%
Castle Creek (Castle, Conundrum
18%
Chihuahua Gulch (Grays, Torreys)
No votes
Grizzly Gulch (Grays, Torreys)
3%
Jennings Creek (Tabeguache, Shavano)
1%
Lead King Basin (Snowmass)
23%
Matterhorn Creek (Wetterhorn, Uncompahgre)
9%
Nellie Creek (Uncompahgre, Wetterhorn)
19%
Quartzville (DeCaBroLin)
1%
Rockdale (Missouri, Huron)
8%
West Winfield (La Plata)
3%

Total votes: 130
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Poll: Worst TH Roads, Seasonal, and Alternatives

Post by TallGrass »

Wondering if I have any more rough trail head roads to look forward to. On one extreme, there's the Maroon Bells lots where one never leaves pavement and used for my 3rd 14er. On the other you have the Lake Como Road which I avoided by doing Lindsey/Blanca/LB/Ell and Centennial 13ers from the Lily Lake TH (South Zapata Lakes also goes easy) which is a rougher one. Second worst I hear is Nellie Creek for Uncompahgre (my 2nd 14er), though I hear Matterhorn is also due. South Colony was a peach, especially after riding to it via Rainbow (not doing that again). Sneffles had a spicy one, but not that bad. Scouted most of the Castle/Con' road a ways past the bridge and figured it was just more of same.

So leaving out Como (for now, may play with it later), any left that'll pose a greater challenge? Gather some have seasonal conditions before the mud dries. My ace in the hole is my approach vehicle is a 1WD SWB (<8') that only needs about 4-12"-wide path of 'good' road so I can skirt many isolated obstacles, however riding up curb-to-curb melon rocks tires the arms as you have to counteract wheel deflections to keep it up (Horn Creek TH to Rainbow). Alpine Loop including Mineral, Corkscrew, Hurricane, California went fine.

Likewise, any that connect THs or towns? Black Bear, Imogene, and some others look interesting.

Here's an idea of the stretch between Horn Creek TH and where it intercepts Rainbow Trail (runs N-S along the feet of the Sangres crossing/linking multiple trails). This was about six feet wide (see boot at bottom of photo) though some parts narrow to four feet. Easy on a 4-wheel ATV with wide tires, but on 2W you generally have to pick a wheel track which on the side of a mountain means either flirting with wheels slipping off down into rocks and trees, or clipping rocks that stick out on the uphill side. ATV don't have as much hanging outside their wheels as bikes do like foot pegs and bags.
HornRainbow1.JPG
HornRainbow1.JPG (155.61 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
Finally. There is an easier way, the Horn Creek "spur" from the lower parking area (no outhouse), but there are a lot of "nice" stretches on Rainbow like this when it's level and not traversing a slope, otherwise it can be steep, rocky, and narrow with the occasional switchback just for fun.
HornRainbow2.JPG
HornRainbow2.JPG (149.89 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
First water crossing. Between Horn Creek and SCL, all creek crossings beyond trickles have sturdy bridges. You can see the horizontal wood through the leaves taking the right fork. Perfect for a bike, though this one may not be wide enough for an ATV. Some have arcing steel girders like you find in parks, and span gulches, but no idea how they got them up there without a helicopter. Rainbow is too narrow and twisty and no roads go up there.
HornRainbow3.JPG
HornRainbow3.JPG (134.26 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
EDIT: Added poll. Left off Rainbow Trail because you can only ride it (ATV, motorcycle) not drive it (e.g. Jeep). Really don't get why it's even on the TH road list since people are actually driving South Colony Lakes road then walking Rainbow. Even if you find the Humboldt trail off Rainbow, there is NO WHERE to park. Anyone else here that has also motored on Rainbow?
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Worst TH Roads, Seasonal, and Alternatives

Post by TallGrass »

Few other pics for a less traveled way.

Here's a nice section of Rainbow. Good road ("motorized trail", no jeeps) and nice valley view. Kind of kick myself for not taking photos of rougher sections, but my mind was just focusing on getting up or down, staying in trail, and not killing the clutch. Above post's photos were taken after I rode it by hiking back up on foot.
Rainbow1.JPG
Rainbow1.JPG (40.44 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
Pretty much the only way you're going to access Macey or North Colony Lakes is by hiking Rainbow (or riding :mrgreen: ) unless you start running some gnarly ridges.
Rainbow2.JPG
Rainbow2.JPG (54.2 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
Rainbow also yields of a few peeks of peaks through the trees. Can you ID this one? Remember this was near one of those steep rocky switchback areas. Sometimes it's hard just to find a way park where the sidestand won't sink in nor the bike lean too much.
Rainbow3.JPG
Rainbow3.JPG (25.33 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

I was recently on the road to Lead King Basin. Encountered deep creek crossings, steep/rough up and downhill sections. Should be no problem on your bike though.

The TH list by difficulty can be found here: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... iculty.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Century Bound, eventually.
TallGrass
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

^ Seen that list. Como is 6 bars, Nellie, Rainbow (done both), and all others are 4 or below. Guess a sub-ranking would help, worst to easiest. Added a road poll up top and left off Rainbow as you can NOT use it to drive (e.g. Jeep) to any TH, much less park. The few turnouts I encountered between Horn and SCL could fit one or two ATVs at most and were quite a ways from Macey, NCL or any other non-motorized trail.

Maybe if BM set up a "14er TH Roads by Difficulty, ranked by 14ers.com users" like he's done for peaks?
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/usrpeaksrall.php

Granted it varies by snowmelt, but how deep was the water on Lead King? Fairly consistent, level rocks? Worst case scenario are mossy, slick round ones 4" or higher than surrounding but fully submerged (stealthy) that deflect the front wheel or kick it sideways without enough traction to recover, and for a swim you go.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

TallGrass wrote:Granted it varies by snowmelt, but how deep was the water on Lead King? Fairly consistent, level rocks? Worst case scenario are mossy, slick round ones 4" or higher than surrounding but fully submerged (stealthy) that deflect the front wheel or kick it sideways without enough traction to recover, and for a swim you go.
Yea, it was high due to snowmelt. Probably 6” at the deepest. Not too far across but not consistent. Gets deepest where it is swiftest. I drove through it with my truck and did not get bucked around, so I’d say there were not too many under water boulders.
Creek Crossing
Creek Crossing
CreekCrossing2.jpg (241.91 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Century Bound, eventually.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Poll: Worst TH Roads, Seasonal, and Alternatives

Post by 12ersRule »

I70, hands down!
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

12ersRule wrote:I70, hands down!

I second the movement.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Bierstadt

What can I say ?
I get car sick easily :oops:
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Right now I'm gonna go with Lily Lake TH for Lindsey as the toughest.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

CreekRunner wrote:

I second the movement.
I third. Most treacherous road in North America.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

lordhelmut wrote:
CreekRunner wrote:

I second the movement.
I third. Most treacherous road in North America.
Fourth! I-70 is by far, the worst.

Friday Westbound
interstate-70-i-70-traffic-jam_sm.jpg
interstate-70-i-70-traffic-jam_sm.jpg (184.19 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
Sunday Eastbound

Mid-Week
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

I'm confused - I live in Colorado Springs

What is this I-70 disaster of which you speak :-D