Fishing around Massive and Elbert

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Aaust27
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Fishing around Massive and Elbert

Post by Aaust27 »

Does anyone know if the fishing is good at Emerald Lake? It's right before the Mt Elbert trail head parking lot. If not is there a good fishing nearby?
Attachments
emerald lake.JPG
emerald lake.JPG (129.55 KiB) Viewed 2980 times
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Fishing around Massive and Elbert

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Don't know about that one but plenty of people fish in Twin Lakes or the one labeled "Mount Elbert Forebay" which is just above the south Mount Elbert trailhead.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Voshkm »

I no longer fish myself but when we summited Elbert there was a gentleman on top who claimed twin lakes is some of best fishing in Colorado and was main reason for him being in Elbert area. However you know fisherman and their story reliability.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I wonder if there's some access issues with fishing near massive on account of the fish hatchery nearby? They may also know some primo spots. Even torquois lake was swelled with fish the last time I camped there.
Aaust27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aaust27 »

I'll have to check it out. Thanks guys, I haven't fished in forever just seems like a good way to get some food for the campfire.
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

How close do you want the fishing to be to what location?
Lake, Stream or River?
There is plenty of good fishing in the area, just need some details to refine answer.
JQ
Aaust27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aaust27 »

I just saw your reply. I was thinking of camping in that clearing just left (east) of Emerald lake and fishing either before or after climbing Elbert.