Handies

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tigger-37
Trip Reports (0)

Handies

Post by Tigger-37 »

What are the weather conditions? Also are the marmots still a problem?
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Re: Handies

Post by IntrepidXJ »

http://weather.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Were the marmots ever a problem? I've left my Jeep at the trailhead and nearby many times without any issues.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Weather... go to the front page of this website....
Left side..., list of 14ers...
move your mouse to the "dots" to the right of the peak name, then click weather...
Tigger-37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigger-37 »

Yes the marmots were a problem earlier this season. Someone posted it in trip condition that he had to bag the trip because they were so bad and he didn't want to leave his vehicle unattended due to them chewing thru brake lines and electrical wiring.

Thanks for the info.
ErikS
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ErikS »

Are/were they a problem at the American Basin TH, Grizzly Gulch/Silver Creek, or both? I'm headed to Grizzly Gulch/Silver creek this afternoon and was thinking about grabbing some chicken wire on my way.
hoff_hikes
14ers: 36 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hoff_hikes »

I spent last Thursday and Friday nights at the Grizzly Gulch/Silver Creek TH and I didn't see anything to be concerned with. As a precaution, I did place a few bags of mothballs under my vehicle.
Tigger-37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigger-37 »

When it was posted it was in American Basin. Also place moth balls under your hood.
derekesq
14ers: 29 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by derekesq »

Heading there in a couple weeks, is the best application of moth balls to hang them from the corners/bottom of the vehicle. also people have used coyote urine, i presume they sell this in lake city, or do i need to buy a female coyote a couple drinks then have an awkward conversation about peeing in a cup?
Who is John Galt
JonMarmot
14ers: 30  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JonMarmot »

I had a porcupine chewing on my car at night at grizzly gulch a little over a week ago, had to chase him off about five times...
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Post by CarpeDM »

derekesq wrote:Heading there in a couple weeks, is the best application of moth balls to hang them from the corners/bottom of the vehicle. also people have used coyote urine, i presume they sell this in lake city, or do i need to buy a female coyote a couple drinks then have an awkward conversation about peeing in a cup?
I was in Lake City a few weeks ago. While at the Sportman Outdoor and Fly Shop, I asked about coyote urine (had forgotten to bring mine). They didn't have it. You may try another place in town (maybe Dan's Fly Shop?), or better yet order it online. If all else fails, I think the Lake City coyotes frequent a saloon called Cannibal Grill.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." - Oscar Wilde
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Some friends and I climbed Handies from American Basin on Wednesday (8/17), leaving 2 vehicles at the 4WD trailhead during our climb. We laid out tarps on the ground, drove our vehicles over them, and then pulled the tarps up around the vehicles on all 4 sides and secured the tarps with twine. We also found mothballs on the ground in the parking area and sprinkled them around our vehicles for good measure. Upon returning to the trailhead, we found our vehicles intact. The hassle with the tarps was worth it to us for the peace of mind it provided. Better safe than sorry.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

I bought some Coyote Urine at a local Garden Center. Many should have it.

I used it and mothballs, and didn't have any problems at either American Basin or Silver Creek. But these were just day hikes. I did not camp overnight. This was early July.