Little Bear Hourglass BETA

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Little Bear Hourglass BETA

Post by Brian Thomas »

Took this pic from a few miles south in Blanca on Sunday 4/10. Not the best resolution, but shows how scant the snow cover is up high.
Attachments
lb-blanca.JPG
lb-blanca.JPG (79.92 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
Mtn_Topper
14ers: 58 
13ers: 69
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Mtn_Topper »

Mtn_Topper wrote:I'm probably going to come up Sat PM and climb Sun AM. Hope to catch a report when/if we all pass.
Looks like I may try to go Fri PM and climb Sat AM. Hope to see folks up there.
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

Did anyone head up this weekend?

Looking for some beta for the hourglass? Use snowshoes around the lake? How did the traverse look (aka, any pictures of how much snow)?

Thanks
Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

I just posted a trip report with some decent photos that you can check out. I think about 6 people attempted Little Bear on Saturday--pretty sure none of us made it to the top. There is still plenty of snow in the Hourglass, but the snow/ice on the traverse is like rock. I don't think the traverse would have been possible without ice-climbing tools this weekend. I regret carrying my snowshoes--I never really needed them.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Exiled Michigander wrote:I just posted a trip report with some decent photos that you can check out. I think about 6 people attempted Little Bear on Saturday--pretty sure none of us made it to the top. There is still plenty of snow in the Hourglass, but the snow/ice on the traverse is like rock. I don't think the traverse would have been possible without ice-climbing tools this weekend. I regret carrying my snowshoes--I never really needed them.

Sent you a PM but what were the temperatures up there when you were on the mountain?
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Yalegirl09
14ers: 43 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Yalegirl09 »

bjohnson17 wrote:
Exiled Michigander wrote:I just posted a trip report with some decent photos that you can check out. I think about 6 people attempted Little Bear on Saturday--pretty sure none of us made it to the top. There is still plenty of snow in the Hourglass, but the snow/ice on the traverse is like rock. I don't think the traverse would have been possible without ice-climbing tools this weekend. I regret carrying my snowshoes--I never really needed them.

Sent you a PM but what were the temperatures up there when you were on the mountain?
Um... It was probably 20 something once the sun hit it... the low got down to 17 at night in the cabin. I didn't have a thermometer.. But 20s is my best guess!
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

Has anyone been in the area in the past couple weeks? I wonder if the conditions have improved... :-k
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

There are a couple of conditions reports posted from last weekend.
turbocat
14ers: 56 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (2)

Post by turbocat »

Heck of a condition update...19 hours and a summit to boot. Great work with horrible conditions. Sounds like the hourglass is not going to be a pleasant snowclimbing experience this year.
When the going gets weird...the weird turn Pro. HST
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

I joined up with the group that made the summit on 4/23 (If you're reading this thanks again!). Snowshoes were useful around the Lake Como area to the notch; well worth it to carry them up the road for the short time they're needed. The notch leading to the traverse was in great condition..but was a deceiving start. The traverse across the snow fields was on really hard snow with pretty solid ice in spots; the group the week before reported it was more icy at that time.

The snowfield on the way to the Hourglass was pretty decent for us thankfully. Once at the Hourglass there were areas with solid ice and almost no purchase right next to the fixed blue rope; there's not really an easy way around this point IMO. The rope hanging down is old and is in bad shape..don't trust it. After the Hourglass the snow was really good to the summit. We got caught in a storm on the way back to the notch and it made the traverse back unpleasant to say the least. If you have any specific questions PM me.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

Cool Hand Luke wrote:The rope hanging down is old and is in bad shape..don't trust it.
The funny thing is, that rope is actually less than a year old. At least, it has been in place less than a year, who knows how old it is really. Just goes to show how much abuse those fixed lines take over a single season. There might be a need for trash recovery again once the snow melts out... :-"
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

crossfitter wrote:There might be a need for trash recovery again once the snow melts out... :-"
I smell a s*itstorm a-brewin'. :wink: :lol: