14'er Altitude Too Much For My Son....Need Options

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
slagador
Trip Reports (0)

14'er Altitude Too Much For My Son....Need Options

Post by slagador »

55 year old flat lander in Dallas just hiked up to the summit of Mt Bierstadt with my 2 adult sons. We flew in on Thursday night and hike it on Friday. We took lots of breaks and it turned out to be harder than I thought despite being fit for the hike. My youngest son was hit the hardest by the altitude and could not make it up the last 1700 feet or so. I think that if the summit was around 12K he would have been successful. It looks like 14'ers are not in his future unless we stayed in Denver a couple of weeks before to acclimate which is not practical.

My questions are: What other class 1 or 2 mountains are there in the country whose elevations are less than 12K feet?

La Luz Trail in New Mexico looks intriguing but its about 8 miles to the summit and an additional 1000 feet or so in elevation changes (we would take the tram down).

Anyone do the La Luz that can compare it to an easy 14'er like Mt Bierstadt?

Despite our mixed success of Mt Bierstadt, we had a blast and ready for the next adventure but I want all off us to be successful.

Thanks for any suggestions.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 14'er Altitude Too Much For My Son....Need Options

Post by dpage »

slagador wrote:

My questions are: What other class 1 or 2 mountains are there in the country whose elevations are less than 12K feet?
1. The entire Appalachian mountain range

2. These are a little higher and all aren't class 1-2 but it could get you started.

http://www.climb.mountains.com/Project_ ... 2ers.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

I would consider La Luz to be more difficult than Bierstadt. Although La Luz only tops out at 10,678, it's a longer hiker 1 way than Bierstadt is round trip (8.7 miles one way vice 7 round trip) and I don't think that accounts for the distance you have to hike on the crest to get to the tram, although that section is pretty easy. You also would have to hike back to your car from the tram parking lot; again an easy hike but adding extra distance.

Secondly, you have more elevation gain on La Luz. On Bierstadt you gain 2850, La Luz has 3851 feet of gain.

That being said, the hike is beautiful and has a lot of variety. You start in the high desert and as you gain elevation, the vegetation changes and the scenery is nice. It's also very straightforward forward and is definitely a Class 1 or 2 affair. Plenty of switchbacks and no scrambling.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

slagador wrote: It looks like 14'ers are not in his future unless we stayed in Denver a couple of weeks before to acclimate which is not practical.
I recommend he (and you) read up on acclimatization. Most humans adapt to 14K feet quite well, given time. Flying in from sea level for someone who lives at sea level, and hiking to >14K feet the next day is something that will be miserable at best for the average person. Many people on this forum do so, so it can be done, but in my dozen or so trips to this altitude or higher with groups, it's rare (or not the norm). In other words, don't give up on 14ers based on what you described. I do not know if I could do that, I have little interest in trying. I general spend 3-4 days at higher altitudes then where I sleep the rest of the year and work my way up to 14ers. This is a great time to try shorter peaks that are often nicer then the 14ers anyway, or go rafting or numerous other activities. For me, often acclimatization side trips are the highlight of trip. As far as acclimatizing well enough to climb 14ers comfortably, 3-4 days has been enough historically for me. Sleep a couple of nights in a town at ~8-10K' such as Salida or Estes Park can make a huge difference. You don't need 2 weeks.
slagador wrote:
As in the entire USA ? Most mountains are under 12K feet. The absolute altitude WRT sea level is just a number to me, as long as you plan for time to adjust to the thin air. My favorites are the Appalachians and Adirondacks near me, and the Cascades in WA State (check out the mountaineers books, you will find numerous climbs to peaks under 10K near North cascades NP, such as Hidden Lakes Peak & Sourdough Lookout, Mt Aix just to name a few.
Best Regards
charro callado
Trip Reports (1)

Post by charro callado »

For what its worth, my first 14er experience was similar. Flew in from sea level and basically went at it...ended up taking lots of breaks, and I didn't make the summit. It's very, very easy to underestimate how difficult it can be to hike and climb at those elevations; you can basically take your fitness level at sea level and subtract two points (on a scale of 1-10). Good conditioning both reduces necessary acclimatization time and increases enjoyment, and that's pretty much going to be the case for anything over ~10,000 feet, and especially anything in the 12-14k range.

Just don't want you (or him) to be discouraged!
Chase_Rowdy
14ers: 19  1  1 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Chase_Rowdy »

La Luz, as mentioned by others, is longer with more elevation gain. However you end below the beginning altitude of Beirstadt, so there is quite a stark contrast. If your son was truest affected by altitude, and you are in good shape, then the lower elevation should make it an achievable goal.

I hiked La Luz dozens of times as a kid. My grandpa lived at the base of the tram, so we would do it whenever we got bored of the smaller hikes. It is still a difficult, longer hike, but the elevation makes a massive difference.

Last time I was there I hiked La Luz to compare my fitness to before I moved. After doing so many hikes and 14ers here it was a cake walk. Just felt like stretching the legs with so much more oxygen.

It's a beautiful trail up impressive mountains! Whenever I do it now we leave a car at tram, then shuttle from the Trail Head.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Medicine Bow Peak near Laramie, WY. one of the most beautiful alpine areas around.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Perhaps redefine "success"?

:mrgreen:
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

If you enjoy a stay in the Denver area, why don't you try Chief Mountain, a very popular class 1 hike? It is 11,706 feet high with about 1k ft gain and located midway between Denver and Mt. Evans/Mt. Bierstadt. You can top both Chief Mountain and its neighbor Squaw Mountain the same day.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

screeman57 wrote:Medicine Bow Peak near Laramie, WY. one of the most beautiful alpine areas around.
+1
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
duncanmil
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by duncanmil »

My teenage son had the same issues when we lived in Nebraska. His doctor told him that young people suffer more than older people. He did prescribe some meds which were actually for seizures control. Told him to start taking it several days before the climb. It seemed to help.
RckyMtBob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RckyMtBob »

I second the option of the White Mountains. I had terrible AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) when I was a teen. No fun to be with on a hike or in car. As an adult I have not be effected in years. While on vacation in Maine we stopped by the White Mountains and climbed Mt Washington. A great climb with great history. Almost 4K vertical but tops out at 6,200 feet. Beautiful trail up through Tuckerman's Ravine. Great experience and a great restaurant at the top. Don't kill yourself on a 14ers. Hike smart and have fun. BTW AMS can be deadly with High alttude pulmonary oedema (HAPE) and High altitude cerebral oedema (HACE). Both are deadly and can only be treated by getting low very quickly. Please don't push anyone with the onset of AMS to 'gut it out' and 'push through it' as it could kill them.