Google for Goggles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Google for Goggles

Postby semitrueskerm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:54 am

After 23 years, my SMITH PMT Ski Googles (which I also use for climbing) have given up the ghost. (I'd love to find out the vertical total over its lifetime...)

Anyway, I've been Googling for new goggles and I can't believe how many brands/lenses the price ranges.

With that land of confusion, I submit my query for help on a finding a good goggle to 14ers.com. What do you use...and what do you recommend? Also, can someone explain lense colors, and which lenses to use in which conditions...or direct me to a link?

Also, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck, so wondering what the optimal price range is. I am willing to shell out some good money for a good pair, but certainly don't want to be ripped off.

Finally, what the verdict on the goggles that have the GPS and fancy info available on the inside of the goggle, like speed and altitude...and even GPS tracking? Anyone out there buy these premium goggles for the premium prices? Are they worth it?

Thanks for any and all help!

Re: Google for Goggles

Postby FCSquid » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 am

Hang out on Steep and Cheap - I see goggles all the time there. Top brands, killer prices - you're virtually guaranteed to get a great bang for your buck.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby Bean » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:17 am

Any of the Zeals with the SPPX lens. I use and love the Detonator specifically. Polarized and photochromatic means one lens for all conditions, other than night time. They're not cheap ($200) but IMO worth it.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby cory1223oh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 am

I have the Oakley Splice goggles and really like them. They are designed to spread the pressure across your face and have a wide nose opening as to not obstruct breathing or pinch your nose. I should also mention that this is my first pair of goggles that I spent over $20 so my experience is limited, and you can take my advice with a grain of salt. I have the fire iridium lenses (dark and reflective for sunny days/plus they look pretty sweet) and the Hi Yellow lenses (next highest light transmission to clear lenses for storm days) the yellow lenses also increase contrast so that you can see different snow features while skiing.

In my experience, I usually see the storm lenses on sale more often, so if you can find some goggles on sale with dark lenses I would grab them and find the storm lenses later.

After a quick search, I found some blue and white goggles with fire iridium lenses http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cfm?color_pic=57371&id=66679&attr1=198456&dept=SKIS%20AND%20SKI%20EQUIPMENT&typ=GOGGLES&subtyp_1=MENS%20GOGGLES

You can buy them from Backcountry and they will match that price and you can support 14ers.com in the process.

http://www.backcountry.com/oakley-splic ... nQodljMACA

Postby Voodoo302 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:33 am

+1 on the Splice although they are a bit large for mountaineering. The large lens is great but they have those outriggers on the sides which are designed to fit around a ski helmet, as opposed to something lower profile which might fit under/around a climbing helmet better. I own them and they are great but if I were climbing with goggles I might consider something smaller, lighter, and lower profile. I've actually been looking for something along those lines myself and haven't yet come to a conclusion. Considering a pair of Julbos.

Postby TomPierce » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 pm

I think at a minimum you'll want a double wall lense goggle, they seem to fog less than the cheaper single wall lenses. I'm a big fan of the Oakley A-Frame goggles, it's the only one out there I'm aware of that has venting from the bottom, top and front of the goggle. I also am not a fan of the one-lense-fits-all-conditions school of thought. I have Oakley's very dark lenses for bright sunshine, clear for night work, and light yellow (what I use 90% of the time) for storms/whiteouts. The spare lenses weigh a pittance and fit neatly inside the small bag I store the goggles in; I can swap out lenses in about a minute. I typically only use goggles for storms or really cold/windy conditions; glacier glasses most of the time.
-Tom

Postby George James » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Tom wrote:I also am not a fan of the one-lense-fits-all-conditions school of thought.
The photochromy Zeal dealys really are quite nice.

STP has some Detonator PPX models left. They ain't got that extra 'S' on the front, but they're still pretty rad, and the price is right. Add on one of those coupon codes they email all the time and a pair can be had for less than fifty bucks. Better act fast tho...Availability: Almost Gone!
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby TomPierce » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:21 pm

George James wrote: The photochromy Zeal dealys really are quite nice.

STP has some Detonator PPX models left. They ain't got that extra 'S' on the front, but they're still pretty rad, and the price is right. Add on one of those coupon codes they email all the time and a pair can be had for less than fifty bucks. Better act fast tho...Availability: Almost Gone!

Yeah, George, I agree the newer photochromatic stuff is pretty nice. One of my favorite sunglasses is a set of photochromatic Julbos, nice for mixed conditions. But even though they say they are Cat 4's, on super bright days they just aren't dark enough; in a whiteout, not light enough. And not having a clear lens for night work (e.g. those long slogs back in the winter coming off Longs) makes me a bit nervous. But I haven't tried the Zeals, maybe they are better with a wider range of coverage than my Julbos.

Hope all is well!
-Tom

Postby Bean » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:28 pm

I've skied Loveland in conditions ranging from full whiteout on the ridge (where you can't see no matter what) to dark stormy late-December mornings/afternoons to sunny days in May with the same goggles with no complaints. If the sun is blazing and I'm on snow in June, I'm not wearing goggles. For those night-time blowing-snow situations, I go with $2 clear safety glasses.
Last edited by Bean on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby seano732 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:30 pm

The Clymb is having an up to 55% off sale on all their goggles right now. www.theclymb.com
" I want to be more like the Ocean, no talking and all action"- Jane's Addiction
"Where is the love, to be found?"- Bob Marley
"It's just a ride..." Bill Hicks

Postby FCSquid » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:48 pm

cory1223oh wrote:I have the Oakley Splice goggles and really like them. They are designed to spread the pressure across your face and have a wide nose opening as to not obstruct breathing or pinch your nose. I should also mention that this is my first pair of goggles that I spent over $20 so my experience is limited, and you can take my advice with a grain of salt. I have the fire iridium lenses (dark and reflective for sunny days/plus they look pretty sweet) and the Hi Yellow lenses (next highest light transmission to clear lenses for storm days) the yellow lenses also increase contrast so that you can see different snow features while skiing.

In my experience, I usually see the storm lenses on sale more often, so if you can find some goggles on sale with dark lenses I would grab them and find the storm lenses later.

After a quick search, I found some blue and white goggles with fire iridium lenses http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cfm?color_pic=57371&id=66679&attr1=198456&dept=SKIS%20AND%20SKI%20EQUIPMENT&typ=GOGGLES&subtyp_1=MENS%20GOGGLES

You can buy them from Backcountry and they will match that price and you can support 14ers.com in the process.

http://www.backcountry.com/oakley-splic ... nQodljMACA

Just saw the Oakley Splice on Steep and Cheep twice today for $75 ...
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby cory1223oh » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:46 am

Oakley Crowbars are on Steep & Cheap for $64 right now. They'll likely show up again later today.

Next