Castle/Condrum or La Plata?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bailey
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Castle/Condrum or La Plata?

Post by bailey »

Anyone know of the conditions (ie: snow coverage) and/or have any plans to go do any of these this coming weekend? Thanks!
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Castle/Condrum or La Plata?

Post by HikerGuy »

bailey wrote:Anyone know of the conditions (ie: snow coverage) and/or have any plans to go do any of these this coming weekend? Thanks!
I'm hiking Castle/Conundrum on Saturday. I will be driving over Independence Pass on Friday afternoon after doing Princeton. Hoping I can find a spot to camp near the turn off to Pearl Pass, if not I will turn around camp lower down the road and drive up in the morning. I'd like to get 3000' so I will not be driving all the way up. Dark green Ford Ranger.

I don't see myself starting before 7 or 7:30 given the good weather forecast. I will be hiking the Northeast Ridge route and returning over Castle after Conundrum.

-Troy
Last edited by HikerGuy on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
KenE
14ers: 31 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KenE »

I'm planning on doing Castle on Friday with a daylight or there 'bouts start. I will mention that I'm pretty slow and far from a spring chicken.

Ken
What do you call a guy like me up here
More than a hiker, but not quite a mountaineer
The thighs labor and the breathing is hard
I hold high places in the highest regard
KyleS
14ers: 44  5  7 
13ers: 25 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KyleS »

We're planning on climbing LaPlata via Ellingwood Ridge on Saturday, but snow/ice could certainly be a deal breaker... If anyone is up there in the next few days, conditions beta would be incredibly helpful. :)
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

HikerGuy wrote:
bailey wrote:Anyone know of the conditions (ie: snow coverage) and/or have any plans to go do any of these this coming weekend? Thanks!
I'm hiking Castle/Conundrum on Saturday. I will be driving over Independence Pass on Friday afternoon after doing Princeton. Hoping I can find a spot to camp near the turn off to Pearl Pass, if not I will turn around camp lower down the road and drive up in the morning. I'd like to get 3000' so I will not be driving all the way up. Dark green Ford Ranger.

I don't see myself starting before 7 or 7:30 given the good weather forecast. I will be hiking the Northeast Ridge route and returning over Castle after Conundrum.

-Troy
We found a great place to camp in this area, but you have to pay attention to find it. Its is maybe a quarter mile (at most) below the pearl pass junction. You will pass a private cabin on your right (note: You can't camp near the cabin as its private property). Once you pass the cabin in 150 yards or so, the turn off to the camping spot is on your right. You turn off to a nice flat area to camp. Up another 10 yards from this spot there is a another camping spot on your left. Its not as flat though. There may be a few places above pearl pass to camp, but as you know the road gets bad.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

I did Castle and Conundrum yesterday. There was some snow on the ridge and since it is shadowed in places you might encounter some snow/ice when you try it. Rest of route is in great shape but make sure you stay on trail. We lost the trail on the boulders and those rocks are extremely unstable. Good luck and PM me if you have questions. I'll try to answer but I'm reasonably doing Holy Cross today.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

We did LaPlata yesterday from the Winfield side. No snow at all on this aspect, but a trace on Ellingwood Ridge shown in photo. This is insignificant and won't affect climbing the ridge. Given the forecast for the next few days it will likely stay that way. Fall colors PEAKING in this area right now.
Attachments
Trace of snow.
Trace of snow.
DSC01512.JPG (144.42 KiB) Viewed 606 times
COLOR!
COLOR!
DSC01531.JPG (146.51 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
YEONDERIN
14ers: 50 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by YEONDERIN »

I just camped at the Pearl pass turn-off and there is not much selection there. There are about 4-5 places to park with only one of those being level and even less areas for tents. There is a very nice spot on the right side maybe 1/8 mile past this turn-off and you still can get your 3000 feet from there. Otherwise you will find the last decent camping ends before the last bridged creek crossing as desertdog mentioned.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)
bailey
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by bailey »

Thanks for all the great replies! Work got a little busier than I had planned this week, so I am just now checking the thread! Think La Plata it is!! ;) I want to bring the dog too, and it sounds like CC may be too hard on her. Happy Fall!