Ouch!

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Ouch!

Postby sisyphus » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:01 pm

This didn't happen to me (thankfully) but I think it's a good story.

I met a guy on top of Mt Shavano this summer after returning from Tabeguache. After asking me how I did Tabeguache, we talked a little while. He told me that he had climbed Tabeguache from the now discouraged route from Jennings Creek about 25 years ago, and had descended via McCoy Gulch. He said he was in a party of 3, and everyone in the group was inexperienced.

For those of you that don't know, McCoy Gulch looks really benign from the top of Tab and Shavano, but actually gets really nasty once you descend a little, with cliffs and such.

The 3 guys got to the cliffed part, and kept going for some reason. He remarked that it was really stupid of them - they even passed a FS sign warning of the difficulties below.

Climbing on top of each other, the guy in the middle let loose a giant boulder that nailed the person below him. The boulder shattered his hip bones, broke ribs, punctured a lung and his bladder, and left him in a pretty bad state. One guy stayed with him with the other hiked out for help. A helicopter from Fort Carson in the Springs was needed to MedEvac him out.

The moral of the story - don't descend McCoy Gulch!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange, maybe up on some high, cold mountain chain.
-Robert Hunter

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:37 pm

McCoy Gulch is not just a gulch, it's a canyon, just as much as the stuff over in Canyonlands, etc...

Check this out:
http://estes.on-line.com/rmnp/advguide/mccoy.html

From the first paragraph:
However, for a group experienced in canyoning techniques and properly equipped, McCoy Creek is a joy to descend.

And pics (lots! takes a while to load) here:
http://estes.on-line.com/rmnp/pics/2002/07062002.html

Postby ColoradoGuy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:39 pm

Yikes! These kinds of stories are always troubling to me.

-Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org