Front Range Cross Country Skiing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Front Range Cross Country Skiing

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:10 am

JeffCo Open Space has no restrictions on skiing their trails. You just, of course, have to be in control like other trail users have to be. South Valley Park is not steep like other JeffCo parks so it is more skiable.

Other good places to ski: any dirt roads that are snow covered in winter, like Stevens Gulch Rd or Old Fall River Rd in RMNP. Also the old railroad grade up Leavenworth Creek from Silver Plume is good, although can be hard to follow when snow covered. Brainard Lake is always fun, as is Shrine Pass.

Close to Denver, Waterton Canyon after a good snow can be a good place to practice your nordic skills, although you have to get there early because they plow it and it tends to melt out fast. The south end of Chatfield State Park has a surprising amount of skiable flat trails for working on your classic technique or just exploring.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby madbuck » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:40 am

Tory Wells wrote:JeffCo Open Space has no restrictions on skiing their trails. You just, of course, have to be in control like other trail users have to be. South Valley Park is not steep like other JeffCo parks so it is more skiable.

Other good places to ski: any dirt roads that are snow covered in winter

Thread resurrection!
As far as Jeffco: towards Conifer, Flying J ranch is great, a little bit more narrow. Meyer Ranch is nice as well, with the lower loops having more snow and less rocks than the upper.

With a new baby, and sometimes skiing with my wife, I've been looking for places that are closer and flatter, esp. when we have an upslope/more snow close to Denver.
Thanks Tory for the South Valley Park suggestion: that's my favourite Jeffco spot for the above criteria so far.

svalley_jamo_napsun.jpg
svalley_jamo_napsun.jpg (126.21 KiB) Viewed 298 times

In the past, I'd prefer things a bit steeper and narrow, but am now looking for mellower and wider...
Does anybody have suggestions of other unplowed (dirt) roads closer to Golden? Thanks!

Postby mattb528 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:58 pm

I went on a run on the Mesa Trail in Boulder earlier today. I saw more cc skiers than other runners, hikers, and snowshoers combined. It sure made me jealous! Conditions are prime now and probably will be for another couple of days. I've never seen people skiing on Mesa so it was pretty cool!

Postby thatmushroom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:38 am

Ha! I was one of the ones on skis. Skins are a magical, magical thing.

Previous