Dynafit questions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Dynafit questions

Postby skipig » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Greg,
I've got some 100mm Radical brakes, never used, looking for some 110s for my JJ's!
Trade ya?

Joe

Postby Bean » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:10 am

GregMiller wrote:Yeesh, no love for the skinny ski :lol:

While we're on the topic, what do people use as their primary ski mountaineering setup?

Going back in time on this thread a bit...

I'm going to be on a DPS Wailer 99 Pure this season. I keep jumping around on exactly how that will be accomplished but right now the answer is most likely inserts in the skis to swap bindings around. I picked up an early pair of TLT6 boots but the weight is heavier by about 250g/foot than advertised, so I'm not sure if I'll hold on to them. Great boots but saving a pound per foot by going to the PDGs is intriguing. Those boots plus some Cho Oyu skis would save me a pound a half per foot off of an already absurdly light setup.

Decisions, decisions...(and $$$)

I never thought I'd see the day that the last of the Freeride devotees would admit the binding's inferiority to Dynafit options. Amazing.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby COBuckeye » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 am

bump the ski thread back to the top...

and a shameless ad..I have a pair of large Marker Tour F10s for sale, great for someone just getting into backcountry skiing and wants a cheap do-it-all binding (price is negoti-able, is that a word?)...
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/gearclass.php?entry=1907&cpgm=gearmain
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Postby martinleroux » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 am

Bean wrote:I picked up an early pair of TLT6 boots but the weight is heavier by about 250g/foot than advertised

Maybe you were looking the advertised weight for the TLT6 with CL liners (not sold in the US)? In the US they only come with the heavier CR liners. Larger foot sizes also make a difference. Here's what I see:

TLT6 Performance CL, size 27.5 (per Dynafit) 1050g
TLT6 Performance CR, size 27.5 (per Dynafit) 1210g
TLT6 Performance CR, size 30.0 (my measurement) 1390g

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Anyone have good/bad stories about resoling their AT boots? I love my Spirit 4's but the toe area is getting pretty janky.

I know Komito does resoles for ~$100 and RMR does them for $110, I just wonder if I'm better off sinking that money into a new pair.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Postby Bean » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:30 pm

martinleroux wrote:
Bean wrote:I picked up an early pair of TLT6 boots but the weight is heavier by about 250g/foot than advertised

Maybe you were looking the advertised weight for the TLT6 with CL liners (not sold in the US)? In the US they only come with the heavier CR liners. Larger foot sizes also make a difference. Here's what I see:

TLT6 Performance CL, size 27.5 (per Dynafit) 1050g
TLT6 Performance CR, size 27.5 (per Dynafit) 1210g
TLT6 Performance CR, size 30.0 (my measurement) 1390g

This is the cause, but it's still a bust. The marketing all Spring said 1050g, and there was no mention of multiple liners (or that the US market would get subject to some heavy euro-condescention when being forced in to the crappy liner). I ordered direct from Dynafit who continue to list the TLT6P CR as 1050g. The size 29.0 shell-only is about 1050g with the tongue and power strap removed. Anything more than a rando race bikini liner would put the 27 shell over 1050g.

I'm considering trying to pick up a CL liner, or an Intuition Pro Tour. That alone should save 150-200g, though it's annoying that Dynafit decided that people buying this boot in the US market want heavy ski liners instead of light ones.

Postby GregMiller » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Dave B wrote:Anyone have good/bad stories about resoling their AT boots? I love my Spirit 4's but the toe area is getting pretty janky.

I know Komito does resoles for ~$100 and RMR does them for $110, I just wonder if I'm better off sinking that money into a new pair.

Eep, I don't remember how much it was to have my hiking boots resoled at Perry's Shoe Shop in Boulder, but I know it was much less than that. Might check them out, see if they'll do it and for how much.

EDIT: Hmmm, seems like a bit more complicated of a job than I thought. See the comments here:
http://www.wildsnow.com/1563/dynafit-tech-fixing-a-non-closing-binding/
Last edited by GregMiller on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Bean, you aren't the only person I have heard say negative things about the TLT6 boots. I think they have gone downhill from the 5s. I tried on the 6s and the Vulcans both and think I am going with the Maestrale RS over Black Diamond. It just seems like some shady marketing to only list the weight for the smallest boot. Have you looked at the Vulcans? They are the stiffest boot I have ever tried on and seem a touch lighter than the TLT6 with what seemed like a good liner.

Postby Bean » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:47 pm

RobertPetrowsky wrote:Bean, you aren't the only person I have heard say negative things about the TLT6 boots. I think they have gone downhill from the 5s. I tried on the 6s and the Vulcans both and think I am going with the Maestrale RS over Black Diamond. It just seems like some shady marketing to only list the weight for the smallest boot. Have you looked at the Vulcans? They are the stiffest boot I have ever tried on and seem a touch lighter than the TLT6 with what seemed like a good liner.

I think the TLT6 is a great boot (caveat: haven't skied it yet), it's just way over on weight. I skied the Vulcans last year and they are ridiculously stiff, substantially heavier (1590g/foot in size 27.5) than the TLT6 though. It looks like La Sportiva knocked it out of the park with the Spectre too, there are some seriously great options out there right now. A few years ago the TLT6 would've been mind-blowingly awesome, now it's just pretty great. If I end up keeping the TLT6 I will not be unhappy about it.

I'm hemming and hawing about what to do boot-wise, if anyone wants a really good deal on a brand new pair of TLT6s in size 29.0 (317mm) shoot me a PM and we can talk while I suffer in indecision for a while.

Postby RobertPetrowsky » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Maybe I am thinking of a different boot they seemed lighter than. My friends who have skied the 5 and just got the 6s don't seem as impressed. I'm happy to see Dynafit, Black Diamond, and Scarpa all being competitive in the ultra light realm. My problem seems to be more with financing what I want rather than choosing the right boot. It makes it an easier choice when you have a super wide, short foot. Back when I was buying race gear stiff meant an extra pound or 2 and zero comfort. Now they have certainly found the best of both worlds.

Postby Bean » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:23 pm

RobertPetrowsky wrote:Maybe I am thinking of a different boot they seemed lighter than. My friends who have skied the 5 and just got the 6s don't seem as impressed. I'm happy to see Dynafit, Black Diamond, and Scarpa all being competitive in the ultra light realm. My problem seems to be more with financing what I want rather than choosing the right boot. It makes it an easier choice when you have a super wide, short foot. Back when I was buying race gear stiff meant an extra pound or 2 and zero comfort. Now they have certainly found the best of both worlds.

The weight of AT boots is something along this line, ordered heavier to lighter, from memory so I apologize if I have something mixed up and yes I'm leaving some out (K2, Tecnica, to name two):

BD Factor MX > Scarpa Freedom SL > Dynafit Vulcan > Dynafit One > La Sportiva Spectre > TLT6 > La Sportiva Spitfire > rando race boots

The TLT6 is an improvement as far as being a ski boot goes, but those doing more difficult climbing may consider them a step backwards from the TLT5. I (and I'm sure many others) were expecting something groundbreaking instead of a minor incremental improvement as a ski boot.

Postby Dave B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:05 am

GregMiller wrote:
EDIT: Hmmm, seems like a bit more complicated of a job than I thought. See the comments here:
http://www.wildsnow.com/1563/dynafit-tech-fixing-a-non-closing-binding/

Interesting. Luckily, I can still trigger the pins relatively easily (that is relative to the general difficulty of triggering dynafits). My guess is by the end of this season, though, they'll be close to needing a mod to work.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

PreviousNext