Dynafit questions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds
Site Administrator

Re: Dynafit questions

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:14 am

Dave B wrote:Anyone have good/bad stories about resoling their AT boots? I love my Spirit 4's but the toe area is getting pretty janky.

I know Komito does resoles for ~$100 and RMR does them for $110, I just wonder if I'm better off sinking that money into a new pair.

That's my beef with AT boots which don't have replaceable soles. When I first went to tech bindings, I bought a pair of Dynafit-compatible boots which didn't have replaceable soles - loved the boots but tore apart the toe lug in just one season of climbing, making them useless. Since then I've used BD Factors with replaceable soles and gone through several sets of AT soles.

Additionally, for the past 3 years I've worn the same ski boots in and out of the ski area on AT or alpine gear. I really like the consistency of one pair of boots for all my skiing; Just a few minutes to swap the soles.

Postby SnowAlien » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:23 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Additionally, for the past 3 years I've worn the same ski boots in and out of the ski area on AT or alpine gear. I really like the consistency of one pair of boots for all my skiing; Just a few minutes to swap the soles.

I've tried skiing on my Scarpa Geas inbounds the first year I bought them. It pretty much destroyed them - like after 15(?) days. Thankfully, they were still under warranty, so the broken plastic parts got replaced. Scarpa/ Bent Gate swore that it was a bad batch. Not so sure though. Scarpas are definitely not as sturdy and Intuition liners are not as warm as the ones in my alpine ski boots, and on cold days sitting on chair lifts it makes a difference. Besides, I don't trust Dynafits inbounds. So I ended up having two setups - Marker bindings + alpine boots for inbounds and Dynafits + Scarpa boots for BC (same trusted ski though :)).

Postby Bean » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:18 pm

nkan02 wrote:I've tried skiing on my Scarpa Geas inbounds the first year I bought them. It pretty much destroyed them - like after 15(?) days. Thankfully, they were still under warranty, so the broken plastic parts got replaced. Scarpa/ Bent Gate swore that it was a bad batch. Not so sure though. Scarpas are definitely not as sturdy and Intuition liners are not as warm as the ones in my alpine ski boots, and on cold days sitting on chair lifts it makes a difference. Besides, I don't trust Dynafits inbounds. So I ended up having two setups - Marker bindings + alpine boots for inbounds and Dynafits + Scarpa boots for BC (same trusted ski though :)).

The original Maestrale/Gea had a few issues, mostly with fasteners. When things come loose, stuff breaks more easily. I don't know what liners are in your alpine boots, but I disagree (in general) that Intuitions are not as warm as typical alpine boot liners.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:23 pm

I have noticed that once the Intuition liners pack out, they seem to lose their warmth. When they are in good condition, I find them as warm as my old alpine liners.

Edit: Bean!

Postby Bean » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:26 pm

IMO if your intuitions pack out, you're buying your shells too big. My toenails disagree with my boot-sizing though, and I'm going to be in "appropriately" sized boots this year. So take all that for what it's worth.

The thing I love most about intuitions is that they preserve circulation (when sized and molded properly etc.), which makes a much bigger difference to me than the insulation value.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Bean wrote:IMO if your intuitions pack out, you're buying your shells too big.

That could be true to some extent. In my case, my BD Factor 27.5s are slightly roomy and I use an Intuition "heavy" liner.

Postby SnowAlien » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:24 pm

My molded Intuition liners are noticeably less warm - they are just barely enough to keep me warm when I skin in winter (but a tad too warm for spring). On some really cold winter days it takes a while for toes to warm up. I definitely felt chillier in AT boots sitting on chair lifts when I brought them at the resort on a few occasions (like do a couple of runs at the resort after 1/2 day in the bc). For me it really makes sense to bring the 2nd setup and switch, especially on cold days. It doesn't take any more time really.
I have some basic Nordicas as alpine boots (kinda newish) - they are super warm, comphy, heavy too. The combo works for me.

p.s. my Scarpa shells definitely not too big, and were sized by Bent Gate peeps. Overall, I am happy with them. They are definitely very light, hike well (can do miles in them with no issues so I don't bother with approach shoes, which saves weight), but I definitely feel that they are not sturdy at all. Kinda the opposite. The buckles come undone repeatedly (lost count how many times), both tongues got replaced and overall boots look old and beat up, although I only had them for 2 years of moderately heavy use. Soles are still holding up though, so I am keeping them untill they fall apart :)

Postby uwe » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:05 am

Tks guys, great thread.
I'm hoping to get 'with it' on BC skis.
Have been using K2 World Piste, tele setup in the past, but not very effective due to the fact I kinda suck in BC on tele's.
Great at the resorts. Perplexing...hoping it is a function of time (which I am running out of).
Expect to rent all sorts of BC ski gear this winter and maybe buy at season's end.
Will post my 'findings'.

Also, I'm looking for partners to tackle Berthoud pass this winter on Saturdays/Sundays. I'll be doing field observations as practice for AIARE ITC stuff and learning the mountain. Eschewing the ski pass this year...forcing me into 'free skiing' opportunities. My skill level is novice+ to intermediate -. If interested, let me know, and I will put you on my DIST list for invites when I go.

Also, will do some winter BC overnights. If any of you are interested in that, let me know. Again, this is chill stuff, no hucking off cliffs, finding that perfect 40 degree line, etc.

Postby GregMiller » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:50 am

uwe wrote:Also, I'm looking for partners to tackle Berthoud pass this winter on Saturdays/Sundays. <snip>

Also, will do some winter BC overnights.

Yes and Yes :-D.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby MatB » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Uwe,

Interested in an overnight BC trip in the winter. Let me know when you are contemplating that.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Previous