Does anyone still wear boots?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Does anyone still wear boots?

Postby Steve Gio » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Yeah, fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
Yeah I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies
Yeah Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes,

Oh all right now!

Postby michaelgrundy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Steve Gio wrote:Yeah, fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
Yeah I saw it, I saw it, I tell you no lies
Yeah Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me
I saw it, I saw it with my own two eyes,

Oh all right now!

Lol... Love Ozzy!

Postby Steve Gio » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:21 am

Yeah but I wear boots. Always will. Recently picked up the Oboz Yellowstone II all leather mids. So far so good.

Postby dr_j » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:36 am

Bump.

Trail runners these days for just about everything, I gave up on the boots nearly 15 years ago after a supposedly 'fitted' pair of boots gave me a set of busted big toenails. I hike pretty light though, generally day-hike, and carry minimal stuff with me. Most of my hiking is in the summer and fall, if I'm out and about in the winter, it's usually in snowboard boots.

The trail runners grip well, dry quickly after going through creeks / swampy sections, and offer a reasonable amount of ankle support compared to some of the other stuff I've hiked in (Vans!).

Postby jsdratm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:49 am

I always wear high-top hiking boots since they protect my ankles and are waterproof. They are a bit heavier, but I'm used to it now. It is nice being able to go directly through ankle-deep water without worrying about my feet getting cold in summer or winter.

Postby ColoradoEd » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:49 pm

I've been wearing full leather Asolo 520's or similar for 15+ years (I think 4 pairs by now). I am sure they have saved my ankles and toes on hundreds of occasions.

Postby stinkybear » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:56 pm

I had all but worn out my old pair of Vasque sundowners. They had served me well on many miles and peaks climbed. I just purchased a pair of Zamberlan Vioz. I broke them in yesterday by climbing the northwest route of Pikes Peak. I have always preferred hiking in a full boot, and am very happy with these. They did great in all of the different terrains that a 14ers approch and climb has to offer.

Postby Wildernessjane » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:00 am

I picked up a pair of trail running shoes this past spring and tried wearing them in all kinds of conditions. I really wanted to like them. What I have decided is they are great for class 1 and 2 hikes. When it came to boulder hopping or crossing steep scree fields, I found trail runners really slowed me down a lot. I also found they did not have nearly as much traction on rock so I wasn't as confident on more technical terrain. I recently picked up a pair of approach shoes, which have been great for class 3+ terrain. Because of the stiff sole, you can also edge really well with them so they are great on steep scree fields (as long as I wear gaiters). However, when I am expecting to do a lot of boulder hopping or when I am concerned about lots of snow and cold temperatures I will go back to my trusty Asolos.

Postby djkest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 am

I (wear out) boots really fast. I am not sure that trail runners would be stout enough to put up with a full day of pounding from me. I'm 240 lbs, so there aren't really any shoes out there made for me. :) That said, I have worn running shoes on some 14ers, class 1 ish. They do OK, but only for shorter hikes. A good boulderfield would ruin my day...
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby forbins_mtn » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:00 am

earlier in this thread i said I was going to go ultralight this summer with Brooks Cascadias and a REI pack. After a dozen peaks this summer I'm back to my boots. Trail runners just don't offer the protection and support needed for Class 3+. On El Diente I watched a boulder slowly fall on a friend's foot who wasn't wearing boots. The boulder slippage was not his fault at all, yet he suffered the consequences.

Class 1-2 I'm all about the trail runners. My feet feel fantastic in them, but when rock is involved it's just not worth it.

Postby peter303 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:13 am

Not us!

Postby paully » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:14 am

I wear boots, always. My ankles must not be as elite as those of trail runners... and I'm fine with that.

PreviousNext