Carbon fiber trekking poles

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Carbon fiber trekking poles

Postby ironman11 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:03 pm

I may be wrong but I don't think the BD Z Poles will accomodate a snow basket. Just a thought. I use the BD Carbon Cork as well. Great poles.

Postby Sugar Madison » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:22 pm

nyker wrote:Thanks guys, so it seems most the popular model used is the BD Alpine Carbon Cork Trekking Pole vs the even lighter Z-pole (with the exception of Sugarmad), which don't have a Flicklock mechanism?

Indeed...I just use mine for "running"... usually only in races like Hardrock, etc... so weight meant more than adjustability. If I were using it for more "mountaineering" (sometimes that line is pretty blurry!) I'd go w/ a more robust and adjustable one (the Alpine cork ones).

Postby tmathews » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Just for those considering ultras, here, Sugar Madison, but what do you think of poles for those races? I've spoken to Neil at Barr Camp about them (I know he doesn't use them). Do you feel they afford you an advantage?

Postby Sugar Madison » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:30 pm

In *really* hilly races like Hardrock (34,000' gain), yes, I think they do. I've tried them in races that don't have as much gain (maybe 18,000-22,000' gain over 100 miles) and I'm not sure they are worth the hassle, to be honest. I wind up carrying them more than I use them.

Total thread drift: I also like to run with a handheld light vs a headlamp, which I can't do when using poles... so I'm sure that factors into the "not sure it's worth it" decision too.

Postby unclegar » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:40 pm

I got the REI carbon fiber poles and have taken them on several 14er hikes and have been very happy with them so far. Only got them because they were free due to dividends.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:56 pm

I don't refer anyone looking for quality to REI products anymore. It is now just a small step up from Wal-Mart (not that there is anything wrong with Wal-Mart). BD is still making good stuff though. I have been very disrespectful to my BD carbon fiber poles both in summer and winter and they continue to perform. I recommend. My issue with poles was always bending, which led to an inability to use the telescoping feature. That doesn't happen with carbons.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Dex » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:46 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:I don't refer anyone looking for quality to REI products anymore. It is now just a small step up from Wal-Mart (not that there is anything wrong with Wal-Mart). BD is still making good stuff though. I have been very disrespectful to my BD carbon fiber poles both in summer and winter and they continue to perform. I recommend. My issue with poles was always bending, which led to an inability to use the telescoping feature. That doesn't happen with carbons.

I'm amazed at what you can find in the Walmart camping section. Older technology has begun to filter down into its camping line. When you look at the balance between price and technology there can be some good deals. I haven't bought much there since I wait for sales from on line stores for the products I want.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am

I have a set of BD carbon trekking poles (can't remember the model name, but can figure it out if you'd like). Anyway, they've been great poles, and haven't given me any concerns about durability. I use them quite a bit, and also use them for backcountry skiing in winter. The locking mechanism on the BD poles is great, and far better than the twist-to-lock system.

Previous