Car camping near Trinidad CO/Raton NM

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Car camping near Trinidad CO/Raton NM

Post by TravelingMatt »

Anyone have suggestions for car camping spots near I-25 between Trinidad and Raton? Taking a long car trip and looking for a place to catch some Z's for a few hours. Looks like there are a couple of state parks and a state game land on the CO side but I'm not sure what is public/open/can be driven to. Prefer lower elevation this time of year as well.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Car camping near Trinidad CO/Raton NM

Post by susanjoypaul »

Sugarite Canyon State Park is on the NM side (about 10 miles from I-25) and camping closes September 30, but it's only half a mile north past the park on CR 85.5 to Lake Dorothey SWA in Colorado and trailhead camping. There are also a couple of rest stops on I-25 (at El Moro and Pueblo North) where you can pull over and get some sleep.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

There is a nice rest area just on the north end of Trinidad, exit 18, right off I-25 that would probably work (after looking at it on Google maps I think that's the El Moro stop susanjoypaul is also suggesting). There is also a nice one just north of Colorado City, I-25, exit 74.
Last edited by huffy13 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I'd prefer not to stay along I-25 itself. Any experience with the area around Trinidad Lake?
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

TravelingMatt wrote:I'd prefer not to stay along I-25 itself. Any experience with the area around Trinidad Lake?
It's been a while back, but I do specifically remember that the "quiet hours" from 10pm-6am were not enforced at all, at least where we were. There may not even be quiet hours anymore, it's been a long time.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

TravelingMatt wrote:I'd prefer not to stay along I-25 itself. Any experience with the area around Trinidad Lake?
Back in college I was on a field study, and our group stayed there one night. It was over the summer, so not this late in the year, and we just slept under the stars with no tents or anything (though we did have them). We weren't in the campground, just out at the end of the parking loop next to it. I recall waking up very early in the morning to coyote howls (a lot of them, quite close by and was later told among us) and yelling at them to shut up (which they did).
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

We didn't stay at the Trinidad Lake State Park, but did stay at Lathrop State Park in Walsenburg a few years ago. Was a nice campground and pretty quiet. I think we stayed a Friday night in Mid July. Would be pricey if you are just stopping over for a couple hours though if you actually head to the official campground area.
pinksunday
14ers: 2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pinksunday »

If you're only stopping for a few hours of sleep then the $18.00 for a basic campsite at Trinidad Lake State Park probably isn't worth it. Nice state park to camp at though, and after a few days of camping their showers are really nice.

There are some areas farther west on Hwy 12 past Trinidad SP - but those are too far out of the way if you're headed to NM.
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

There are some roads near the border that may have potential as well as an old ski area (Sugarite) on the New Mexico side. I suspect these fall into the category of "technically private but no one around to care".

In any event, Trinidad has a Wal-Mart.