Trail Running Shoes vs. Boots for Long's Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which do you prefer?

Trail Running Shoes
68%
Traditional Hiking Boot
32%

Total votes: 57
CG_old
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CG_old »

One thing worth considering is that many "trail" running shoes are just road running shoes with more aggressive tread and a "trail look". Most road shoes use polyurethane outsoles which have incredible wear characteristics, but completely suck in the traction department (especially on wet rock).

Try to buy trail running shoes with real rubber (aka carbon rubber) outsoles instead of polyurethane outsoles. Montrail and LaSportiva come to mind as options (I'm guessing there's others too, just haven't looked beyond these). Real rubber soles don't last as long, but most people rotate out running shoes after 400-600 miles anyway, so it's not really an issue.

The LaSportivas are especially good in the "sticky" department... unfortunately I can't get them to fit my feet quite right.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

I wore a pair of Nike Air Max Motos (regular running shoes) both attempts on Longs.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
roozers42
14ers: 49 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (20)

Post by roozers42 »

I think the most important thing for longs keyhole is to have a good sole on the bottom of your shoe. The rock is rather polished and would get pretty slick if wet. I've done it twice in boots and if I were to do it again, I'd wear my Merrell trail runners. If you have good traction for the upper mountain, I think you'd be happier with light shoes on those last six miles.
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Trail Running Shoes vs. Boots for Long's Peak

Post by myfeetrock »

I guess I missed this one.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

myfeetrock wrote:I guess I missed this one.
You're only 7 years late.... #-o
I'm slower than Scott P.
RadioJay
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RadioJay »

I like my waterproof LaSportiva trail runners for up to Class 3. Montrails were too flimsy (not stiff enough). Ganda Guide for everything else up to 5.6 (including Grand Teton Upper Exum route). Waterproof, insulated LaSportiva Trango S EVO if my feet are going to be in snow all day. The old stiff hiking boots were nice for keeping my ankles supported, but they gave me blisters.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

SikYou wrote:You're only 7 years late.... #-o
Or maybe 7 years lucky.
When life gets you down, climb!
codogg81
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by codogg81 »

I constantly have this debate with myself and therefore pack both trail runners and boots. It works out great.
estesmtnjim
14ers: 7 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by estesmtnjim »

just did Long's Keyhole route a week ago in my original Teva sandals...much preferred over boots. 8)
teva originals.jpg
teva originals.jpg (33.65 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Broken Knee
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

What crampons do you use with your tevas?
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

image.jpg
image.jpg (25.04 KiB) Viewed 781 times
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Broken Knee
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

I dub thee: "The Necromaster"!