Is Tigiwon Road still skiable?

Colorado 14er peak questions, condition requests and other info. 14er Trip Reports, Condition Reports

Is Tigiwon Road still skiable?

Postby cindyh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:49 am

Does anyone have recent conditions for Tigiwon Road? I'm wondering if the approach is still skiable, or if this is going to be one long hike in... Also, any conditions on the Holy Cross Couloir would be appreciated. Thanks.
CindyH

Re: Is Tigiwon Road still skiable?

Postby Jcwhite » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:40 am

Hey Cindy,
I would doubt that it is skiable/skinable for most of it, but that's not really the issue. It is closed until June 20th for the Elk Rutting season.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson

Postby cindyh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:50 am

So it is closed to foot traffic as well. I thought it was only to Motor Vehicles. Thanks. I'll touch base with the Ranger Station.
CindyH

Postby Chicago Transplant » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:11 pm

Its actually for calving, not the rut. My understanding has always been that the road is closed to all foot traffic as well until the road opens June 20th. Basically the road goes through an area that is a sort of elk "maternity ward". There are actually a lot of elk calving closures around Vail and all of them are closed to hikers as well as bikes and motor vehicles, and I don't think this one is any different.

As for your original question, the road is probably pretty dry. I was easily able to drive up to 10,800' on another road near Camp Hale with a similar aspect.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day