New York Times article about National Park vandalism

Items that do not fit the categories above.

New York Times article about National Park vandalism

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:32 am

This is depressing.

"The cause of this recent spike in graffiti on public lands is unclear, but some park personnel say there is reason to believe that it coincides with the rise of social media. “In the old days,” said Lorna Lange, the spokeswoman for Joshua Tree, “people would paint something on a rock — it wouldn’t be till someone else came along that someone would report it and anybody would know about it.”

She added, “with social media people take pictures of what they’ve done or what they’ve seen. It’s much more instantaneous.” And that instant gratification could stimulate the impulse to deface."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/us/as-vandals-take-to-national-parks-some-point-to-social-media.html?hp&_r=0&pagewanted=all
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Re: New York Times article about National Park vandalism

Postby MonGoose » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:35 am

I would think that having a picture of your work posted in the New York Times would be an additional incentive.

Edit: I think that anyone caught doing this should be sentenced to one summer of trail crew to pay for their crimes.

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:39 am

MonGoose wrote:I would think that having a picture of your work posted in the New York Times would be an additional incentive.

Yeah, I'm sure the D-Bag who tagged Twin Owls thinks he'll be the next Banksy.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby SilverLynx » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:39 am

The graffiti on the cactus just makes me mad. I love saguaros, they are incredible!
Maybe everyone's a little bit ugly. Maybe we're all just ugly, dying sacks of shitt, and maybe all it'll take is one person to just be okay with that, and then the whole world will be dancing and singing and farting, and everyone will feel a little bit less alone.

Postby Dex » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:53 am

Maybe it is just a Cristo-like want-to-be.

http://www.overtheriverinfo.com/
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby peter303 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:57 am

Its basically the same set of people who tag urban buildings. The article is too politically correct to say so.
Best to hope it just a passing fad.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:08 am

I'll never understand the mentallity behind this. Same goes for people who carve their initials into rocks and trees.

peter303 wrote:Best to hope it just a passing fad.

I hope so, but I doubt it. Morals in our society are declining fast, and "Look at Me" Syndrome is rapidly growing.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby madbuck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 am

peter303 wrote:Its basically the same set of people who tag urban buildings. The article is too politically correct to say so.
Best to hope it just a passing fad.

I'm not so sure, as a whole. While there's some overlap, I just think it's more complex than that.
A 32-yr-old hotel manager? South Korean exchange students?
The infamous 14er Sharpie Incident? (Yes, capital "S", capital "I").

While much of the urban stuff is territorial...the backcountry stuff seems more like a one-and-done (and possibly brag online) sort of deal, in some cases done by people who think they can "get away with it" due to the (perceived) remoteness, in addition to those that think tagging rocks and cacti is somehow more harmless. I think the article is correct with respect to the new phenomenon of social media bragging. I'm heartened to hear that some of these were caught and fined.

Postby habaceeba » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:45 am

MonGoose wrote:I think that anyone caught doing this should be sentenced to one summer of trail crew to pay for their crimes.

It's good to see that the individuals that are caught are handed felonies and 5 digit fines. I was surprised that it's not just a misdemeanor slap on the wrist. MonGoose's trail crew idea might be the best of all (in addition to the felony and fines) because it would teach the morons some respect for the parks.

I hope I never catch anyone in our backcountry doing this because I will be the one getting a felony for assault and battery.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Around here they use bullets in addition to spray paint.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin

Postby Urban Snowshoer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:43 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:.

"The cause of this recent spike in graffiti on public lands is unclear, but some park personnel say there is reason to believe that it coincides with the rise of social media. “In the old days,” said Lorna Lange, the spokeswoman for Joshua Tree, “people would paint something on a rock — it wouldn’t be till someone else came along that someone would report it and anybody would know about it.”

She added, “with social media people take pictures of what they’ve done or what they’ve seen. It’s much more instantaneous.” And that instant gratification could stimulate the impulse to deface."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/us/as-vandals-take-to-national-parks-some-point-to-social-media.html?hp&_r=0&pagewanted=all

If anything, I'd say social media is advantageous in this situation: i.e. it's a lot easier to catch a vandal who post their pictures on Facebook (or the internet in general) than one who doesn't post anything online.