5280 mag cover story

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: 5280 mag cover story

Postby My-Therapy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:05 am

My Bother-In-Law and I hike Mt. Bierstadt on Thanksgiving Day 2 years ago and only saw 5 other people all day. The traffic was very light as well from the trail head to home.

Postby bonehead » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:07 am

boudreaux wrote:Last time I was on Horn, I met 3 Amish climbers from Cotopaxi, Amish Climbers!

I find them rafting the Arkansas also.
A fair sized community around here.
Great People.

Postby My-Therapy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 am

bonehead wrote:Crowds, What Crowds.
If anyone had joined me on Horn last week,
we would have made a crowd of 2.
I saw no one all day.

I have hiked up Horn Peak 3 times (the first 2 times turned around due to weather) and I have never seen anyone else on the trail. I hiked/snowshoed once in March, hiked once in August, and once in September. In fact, most of the dozen or so hikes that I have done in the Sangre De Cristo's I have seen very few, if any other people.

Postby rijaca » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:14 am

What are the odds of encountering someone (the same person) on two separate mountains (and not even 14ers) on two consectutive weekends?
"Well a couple shots of whiskey, women `round here start looking good"

Postby peter303 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:19 am

Pretty much the kinds of things you might do your first year in Colorado. Not very informative.

Postby bonehead » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:25 am

Horn TH parking lot was also empty.
Both upper and lower lots.
That TH accesses peaks and drainages
from Colony Baldy to past Horn.
Macey Lakes, Horn Lakes, Dry Lakes,
Cottonwood Creek and the Horn Peak Trail.
All lonely. Come Visit!
Hey, Westcliffe could use your money.

Postby benners » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:49 am

Back on an earlier topic - I don't buy the idea that numbers are going to increase substantially on the 13ers as a result of spillover from the 14ers. As Darin mentioned, there are ten times as many 13ers to choose from, and to take it further, many of them are more difficult than the hardest 14er, require more routefinding, don't have CFI constructed highways to the top, are looser and potentially more dangerous, and have much less info out there to go off of. There are many facets that "grease the tracks" for people to hike 14ers, the absence of which would likely prevent a portion of people from attempting them. I also don't see the obsession with The List going away anytime soon, which if we're being completely honest is the primary motivation for many to get up there and hike. I know a few people who have finished the 14ers and quit hiking peaks altogether afterwards, which I'm guessing is fairly common. With the 13ers, save for the Centennials, the list motivation is not realistic as there are 500+ ranked 13ers. Let's also not forget that a lot of 14er summer traffic, particularly on the easier peaks, is comprised of people from out of town who come to Colorado for a week or two a year and want to get some high peaks in. It's not likely that kind of traffic would spill over onto the 13ers, for obvious reasons.

I'm not trying to be an ass or sound like an elitist or something, I'm just bringing up some observations and facts that make me think traffic will not increase substantially on the 13ers as the 14ers become more popular. There may be a few close to Denver that turn into the 13er version of Quandary or Bierstadt, but I doubt we'll ever see a conga line up West Partner Peak in the Gores.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:23 am

rijaca wrote:What are the odds of encountering someone (the same person) on two separate mountains (and not even 14ers) on two consectutive weekends?

1 in 4.9 x 10^19 *

* This assumes that it's equally likely to meet any person on earth on a mountain and that the person is a sphere.
Last edited by SchralpTheGnar on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:24 am

If you double the number of people hiking a typical 13er, you'll go from maybe two or three people a week to four or five. You can probably still do Silverheels on a Tuesday and not see anyone.

OTOH if you double the number of people on Quandary... you do the math.
AC 0000000

Postby ctlee » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:29 am

Hiked 18 FRONT RANGE 13ers last year-late summer-late fall and saw a total of 12 people on the routes. Had all but one summit to myself. It was worth suspending pursuit of the 14er list for the awesome solitude on these mountains. Weekdays off help!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi

Postby Lemmiwinks » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:50 am

Glad to see references to 14ers.com and 13ers.com in the online article. Yes the info in the article is very basic, but beginners need to get that info somewhere, and not everyone knows about this website when they start out.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby d_baker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:24 am

rijaca wrote:What are the odds of encountering someone (the same person) on two separate mountains (and not even 14ers) on two consectutive weekends?

I bet you have a story with that, don't you? ;)
If you're the Pappersons and THorvath, running into each other frequently on the "circuit" is a common occurrence.

PreviousNext