Best view suggestion for 1/2 day needed near C. Springs

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Best view suggestion for 1/2 day needed near C. Springs

Postby patrickm2k » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Geoff,

Old Rag is definitely a favorite of mine, but it is incredibly over crowded these days. I typically have to take a weekday off from work- or hope for very cold weather when I hike it or it becomes more of a tourist stop than anything. To hike it these days you have to walk about a mile up the paved road as the landowners threatened to shut down access if people kept parking up there. On any given weekend- especially a nice weekend- you could probably have 600 people on the trail with 120-150 cars at the bottom.

geoffirons wrote:Hi Patrick,

I'd recommend some hikes on the west side of Pikes Peak. Depending on your vehicle and current road conditions, you could drive to the Crags TH and hike to the Crags, or if more ambitious up to Devil's Playground. Alternatively, drive a little further south on Hwy 67 to the Horsethief Park TH and hike to Pancake Rocks, or if very ambitious (and good at route-finding) climb Sentinel Peak. Depending on where you start in Colorado Springs, the drive time to these THs is about one hour. You can find more info on all these on this website and others, but if you have specific questions please PM me.

Geoff

p.s. How is Old Rag Mountain? I used to do volunteer trail work there in the early '90s. It was always my favorite hike in northern VA.

Postby geoffirons » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Wow! That is certainly a big change from when I lived there!

BTW, I should have said Sentinel Point... I was typing faster than I was thinking (and I really don't type very fast!). :)
Geoff Irons

Postby patrickm2k » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 am

thanks for all the suggestions from everybody. A final question- I think I'm going to head up and do Mt. Sniktau- is this one I'll need snow shoes on? Or should I be OK in my boots? Summit Post suggests the snow should be fairly packed- just wondering what others have experienced?

Thanks again to everybody!

Postby SeracZack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:40 am

Typically very windblown and usually you never need snowshoes when approaching from the top of Loveland Pass. Although I just drove over the pass, it was in the dark so I can't speak to the current conditions. But my gut tells you me you'd be fine without the snowshoes.

EDIT: for spelling mistake
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby RyGuy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:45 pm

patrickm2k wrote:thanks for all the suggestions from everybody. A final question- I think I'm going to head up and do Mt. Sniktau- is this one I'll need snow shoes on? Or should I be OK in my boots? Summit Post suggests the snow should be fairly packed- just wondering what others have experienced?

Thanks again to everybody!

I just took a friend new to winter mountaineering up Sniktau on Sunday. It's about half snow/ice and half exposed rocks currently. I wore crampons and they worked quite well. You could probably just use Microspikes, although I prefer crampons to ensure really solid footing in icy terrain. I can post some pictures I took along the way later tonight when I am home from work.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Previous