Rappelling Long's Diamond

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Rappelling Long's Diamond

Postby somethingrandom » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:21 pm

sunny1 wrote:
Doug Shaw wrote:
cheeseburglar wrote:I think if you are serious about rappelling the diamond you should carry up a couple thousand feet of rope, build an anchor, and rappel down.

Use an ATC.

Air Traffic Control? #-o You may need to file a flight plan :wink:

Cleared direct the ground, do not exceed 145 knots.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Postby coloradokevin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:13 am

Lots of climbers hate rappelling, but sport rappelling has been around for quite some time, even while others refuse to acknowledge that people get enjoyment out of such activities. Regardless, I imagine that a Diamond rappel would be far beyond the scope of "sport rappelling". It is a tough mountaineering route, and for all of the reasons that were already mentioned, I imagine that the skill required to go down it would be about as involved as the skill required to go up it.

On the other hand, I haven't climbed or rappelled the diamond, so I'm really just guesstimating here. JDip, I see no harm in asking the question that you did, and I am laughing a bit at a lot of the self-righteous and insulting responses. Suffice it to say, the overwhelming majority of people seem to think this is a bad idea, but I don't think that really gives them license to ridicule you for asking about it.

Postby tlongpine » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am

coloradokevin wrote:JDip, I see no harm in asking the question that you did, and I am laughing a bit at a lot of the self-righteous and insulting responses. Suffice it to say, the overwhelming majority of people seem to think this is a bad idea, but I don't think that really gives them license to ridicule you for asking about it.

It appears most of the ridicule followed JDip's response to answers he didn't like.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby JDip » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:45 pm

tlongpine wrote:
coloradokevin wrote:JDip, I see no harm in asking the question that you did, and I am laughing a bit at a lot of the self-righteous and insulting responses. Suffice it to say, the overwhelming majority of people seem to think this is a bad idea, but I don't think that really gives them license to ridicule you for asking about it.

It appears most of the ridicule followed JDip's response to answers he didn't like.

What's the point of asking a question if you don't want to hear all of the truth? And opinions? Furthermore, I don't know the answer to my question, that's why I came here.

I'm hitting the road for a while, but.....**rustling through stack of paper**.... there is a plan....
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.

Postby JDip » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:50 pm

coloradokevin wrote: JDip, I see no harm in asking the question that you did...

A toast! To the questions we seek answers to! Cheers!

Honestly though, rappelling isn't quite as fun as climbing, and I may have misled others in my ability. But hell, If I'm gonna head down a mountain, then I might as well make it as memorable as the climb!
I want to know the thoughts of God. All the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

It's not the height of the mountain that makes it great, it is the mountain itself. -J.D.

Postby Dave B » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:56 pm

JDip wrote:
coloradokevin wrote: JDip, I see no harm in asking the question that you did...

A toast! To the questions we seek answers to! Cheers!

Honestly though, rappelling isn't quite as fun as climbing, and I may have misled others in my ability. But hell, If I'm gonna head down a mountain, then I might as well make it as memorable as the climb!

Ski mountaineering is probably a more viable alternative to the above thought.
The mountains - whose summits reach or exceed arbitrary thresholds for elevation and prominence - are calling and I must go.

-John Muir

Previous