Peak(s):  Mt. Evans  -  14,264 feet
Mt. Bierstadt  -  14,060 feet
Date Posted:  08/29/2005
Modified:  11/03/2009
Date Climbed:   08/25/2005
Author:  alanb
 Mt. Evans Via the Sawtooth  

This is a continuation of our Beirstadt/Sawtooth report which you can read more of under the Beirstadt trip report.

The clouds building to the west had us a little concerned but we decided that if you had to be stuck on a summit during a storm Evans was probably the one to do it on. Worst case we could take shelter in the restrooms.


The route up from the Sawtooth entrance was pretty fun IMO. The trail across the large flat saddle is a little unclear but once you reach the ridge up to Evans it becomes well carined and has some great views.

Flat saddle looking back towards the trailhead


Start of the ridge towards Evans


We kept one eye over our shoulder on the storm and the other on the side of Beirstadt amazed at how hard it looked from a distance.

Upon summiting Evans we were one of only three parties at the top. The storm which was dangerously close now had most likely scared off the majority of the "drive up" tourists. We had our summit photo taken with another of my buddies great signs and then beat a hasty decent back towards the sawtooth.

We made it about a mile down the trail when the storm hit. Lucky for us it was all snow and high winds and not lighting and rain. We found a large sheltered rock to hide behind ate our lunch and waited out the storm.


After the storm blew over we made our way back to the saddle and down the gully into the willows. I did not read much about the gully in my research of this trial and it was much steeper than I expected.


looking back up at the steep gully


once you reach the valley floor you are treated to a terrific view but quickly realize there is no clear way to get back to the trail.


We decided to stick high and to the south side of the willows. For the most part this kept us out of the willows but we did have some steep side hilling and extra distance to traverse. With yet anther wave of storms moving in we arrived back at the trail head at 4:30. Along the way we ran into a couple of deer.


We were both tired but happy with our day. We ran into two hikers in shorts no jackets and very little water on their way up to the summit. We expressed our concern with their decision but they brushed us off. Having given them our 2 cents, we headed off to find a camping spot at Mt. Sherman.

Thumbnails for uploaded photos (click to open slideshow):

 Comments or Questions

   Using your forum id/password. Not registered? Click Here

Caution: The information contained in this report may not be accurate and should not be the only resource used in preparation for your climb. Failure to have the necessary experience, physical conditioning, supplies or equipment can result in injury or death. and the author(s) of this report provide no warranties, either express or implied, that the information provided is accurate or reliable. By using the information provided, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless and the report author(s) with respect to any claims and demands against them, including any attorney fees and expenses. Please read the Safety and Disclaimer pages for more information.

© 2017®, 14ers Inc.