|Peak:||Kit Carson Peak (14er)|
|Route:||From Challenger Point|
|Range:||Sangre de Cristo|
|Date of Info:||06/25/2011|
I climbed Kit Carson and Challenger today. There are some things you should Know:
1) There was a good freeze last night. There is a lot of snow On Challenger North face. People without crampons were struggling and turning around.
2) Kit Carson Avenue going up to the Prow has some snow on it but you don‘t have to step on it. I did not put crampons on here.
3) The avenue going from the Prow east has snow but there are only two spots where you might need crampons briefly. I put them on going but when I returned things were softening up and I did not.
4) As you ascend Kit Carson east face there is a substantial strip of snow at 13,900. You can deal with it but it is a pain.
5) The Kirk Couloir was hard snow and slick on the descent. I front pointed most of the way. It did corn up as the day warmed.