|Peak:||Little Bear Peak (14er)|
|Route:||West Ridge and Southwest Face|
|Range:||Sangre de Cristo|
|Date of Info:||05/26/2013|
- Road is dry to Lake Como
- Lots of available camping without snow on the WEST side of Lake Como. East side still had lots of snow.
- Some very minimal post holing east of the lake to the west ridge cut-off but it should melt out pretty quickly.
- The initial gully on the west ridge still had snow bottom to top, but is melting quickly. I was hitting rock with my ice axe on a pretty consistent basis. See Pix 1 (taken from Lake Como)
Traverse from the west ridge to the bottom of the hour glass was mixed snow and rock. About 50/50 snow/rock from the 2nd notch on the West Ridge. See Pix 2.
- Hour glass was still snow-filled from bottom to the anchor. But is melting fast. It was firm in the morning, but very soft by 11am on decent. Not sure it will hold a week. See Pix 3.
- Above the anchor, the route was dry. Some limited variglass/ice but it was easy to avoid.
PM me with any questions.
Photos (click for slideshow):