iPhones will soon be able to text via satellite

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
colingoodman
14ers: 34  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

iPhones will soon be able to text via satellite

Post by colingoodman »

iPhones have had emergency SOS via satellite for a couple years now. Apple just announced they are adding the ability to send text and iMessages via satellite as well. They have yet to add any sort of subscription to the SOS feature and it looks like this feature might be free also.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/06/10/iphon ... satellite/
Peak200
14ers: 47 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (0)

Re: iPhones will soon be able to text via satellite

Post by Peak200 »

Kool thx for the update on that
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 110 19 5
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Jorts »

Garmin and SPOT are not happy.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 173 45 37
Trip Reports (4)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Jorts wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:20 am Garmin and SPOT are not happy.
I’m guessing SPOT is ok with it since they are GlobalStar and that’s what Apple is using for satellite, I think. Maybe they know it’s time to shift to mobile phone revenue.
A call from fascism is coming from within the house. Picture That
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Next generation comm satellites have much larger antennas. So they can manage higher data rates from something as small as a cell phone. Theres already several up there in testing.

Pricing is an interesting question.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

I have Starlink for my RV. Absolutely love it, but much beyond truck camping at the TH it's not going up a 14er. I'm wonder if Elon will be able to modify the Starlink constellation in the future to work with cellphones...
Last edited by jrs1965 on Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirschld
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dirschld »

Note that this will only be available to those with iphone 14 or newer; those of us still making do with older phones will either have to upgrade or hold onto our Garmin or SPOT devices...
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

jrs1965 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:18 am I'm wonder if Elon will be able to modified the Starlink constellation in the future to work with cellphones...
They’re already working with t-mobile on that, and launched the first starlink satellites to support that back in January, no idea when they’ll actually offer the service, though.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

jrs1965 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:18 am I'm wonder if the engineers and scientists who work at Starlink will be able to modify the constellation in the future to work with cellphones...
Small correction.
Make wilderness less accessible.
madmattd
14ers: 38  14 
13ers: 86 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

GregMiller wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:24 am
jrs1965 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:18 am I'm wonder if Elon will be able to modified the Starlink constellation in the future to work with cellphones...
They’re already working with t-mobile on that, and launched the first starlink satellites to support that back in January, no idea when they’ll actually offer the service, though.
Working on it, and demonstrated on their socials a few times. They've even shown doing a Facetime call with standard iPhones over Starlink recently.

There's been talk of general availability (through T-Mobile as noted) towards the end of this year, though I'm not sure if that's still on track or not.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

This is great news, I hope Samsung follows suit.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I don't have an iPhone, but I would switch if you don't have to be in network to send texts.

The info says:

Apple is expanding the capabilities of its satellite messaging on the iPhone. The new iOS 18 update will broaden the availability beyond emergency messaging, and Messages via satellite will be an option when cellular and Wi-Fi connections are not available.

Does this work when you are outside the US or do they charge you extra? I guess that's a question for the cellular company, but I'm just curious if anyone else is planning on using it while travelling overseas.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.