Cuchara Area

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HoosierWaffles
14ers: 33 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Cuchara Area

Post by HoosierWaffles »

Going to be in the Cuchara area for a few days starting Wednesday. Looking at doing ESP, WSP, and Mt. Maxwell, but am flexible. If anyone has been around there recently and knows what the conditions on those peaks are like that'd be appreciated. Also if anyone in the area wants to link up for a peak or two in the area send me a PM, I won't be too acclimated but will still be decently fast as I just got done doing Chirripo in Costa Rica.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 51  1  2 
13ers: 359 29 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Cuchara Area

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

According to recent satellite data from Copernicus, it looks pretty dry compared to the rest of the state. Definitely some lingering snow, but nothing that would stop one from climbing the peaks you mention.
johnF
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by johnF »

I drove by La Veta yesterday, and WSP in particular looked like it still had a fair amount of snow above treeline on its north side. ESP had some, but less. In case that's of any help.
HoosierWaffles
14ers: 33 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HoosierWaffles »

Thank you both I appreciate it