Mt of The Holy Cross

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ashwin
Trip Reports (0)

Mt of The Holy Cross

Post by ashwin »

Anyone interested in joining to the Mt of The Holy Cross this weekend?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Mt of The Holy Cross

Post by justiner »

(remember the road to the trailhead is closed)
Long May You Range! Purveyors of fine bespoke adventures
Skimo95
14ers: 58  17  23 
13ers: 194 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

If you have an extra dirt/snow bike bike count me in
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

Closed to all motorized vehicles annually from May 1 to June 21.
John619
14ers: 17  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John619 »

Holy Cross is a long day even when the road is open...
rangercarl
14ers: 31  21  1 
13ers: 81 58
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rangercarl »

Bill G wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:37 am Closed to all motorized vehicles annually from May 1 to June 21.
I just checked with the Holy Cross Office and that order is no longer in place. The road is open to over the snow vehicles through 5/20 annually, then open to bicycles and foot/horse traffic until the gate swings on 6/21 for vehicles.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 698 44 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

rangercarl wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:37 am
Bill G wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:37 am Closed to all motorized vehicles annually from May 1 to June 21.
I just checked with the Holy Cross Office and that order is no longer in place. The road is open to over the snow vehicles through 5/20 annually, then open to bicycles and foot/horse traffic until the gate swings on 6/21 for vehicles.
Over snow vehicles can't get to the snow line right now though, my friend and I biked the road after work and biked to 5 miles in. Thicker snow patches start around 4.5, but there is nothing below that where over the snow vehicles would be able to travel on with any consistency, its mostly dirt until that point so I would say melt off has effectively closed the road to all but bikes, foot and horse travel at this point.

CR for the road, picture is at our 9700' and 5 miles in turnaround: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/threpor ... cnum=10184
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

Great use case for an e-bike right now. It would be super fun to climb holy cross before the road opens.
ashwin
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ashwin »

Thanks for all the feedback.... will tackle this peak in upcoming weeks