Peaks near Granby

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ballardwf04
14ers: 48  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Peaks near Granby

Post by ballardwf04 »

Hi all,

I'll be living in Granby for a summer job from the end of May to the end of July, and by the nature of my job will have a lot of single days off, but relatively few sustained periods of time. I plan on doing as much hiking and climbing as I can during this time, but to be honest there's too many options for me to make sense of.

The Trail Ridge entrance of Rocky is right there, so I'll have an abundance of options in the park once TR road opens. If possible, I'd love to do some things in the IPW as well- but I'm not sure how much, if any, of those peaks are accessible from the west side. I'm sure there are innumerable other options nearby I'm not aware of.

I'm somewhat proficient in high alpine territory, and I'm looking for some easy snow climbs, good class 3/4/low 5 ridge scrambles, and brutal days out there to get me in shape for other climbs. Goals for the season include Capitol and the Bells traverse, so anything that might prep me for those would be great. Any and all suggestions welcome.
"In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God."
Luke 6:12
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Peaks near Granby

Post by Scott P »

Granby is surrounded by mountains so there is good stuff in all directions. I'll be working in Granby May 6 through September 30 if you want to do something.

Also, it would be awesome if you wanted to do some after work rock climbs. I hike or climb every day after work.
I'm not sure how much, if any, of those peaks are accessible from the west side.

A lot of them, but many are longer walks than from the east side. There are still a lot that can be done as day trips or even after work peak ascents though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Chipmunk
14ers: 58  3  25 
13ers: 341 23 8
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Chipmunk »

I live in Hot Sulphur Springs - welcome to Grand County!

Mt Neva’s north ridge from Junco Lake TH is a great classic IPW scramble.

Lone Eagle Peak is doable as a long day trip, depending on your fitness level. There is a class 4 route to the summit called Solo Flight, but the route finding is convoluted and it’s easy to get into more difficult terrain.

While not a technical summit by any means, Byers Peak is a classic Grand County hike and you should do it while you’re living here.

Feel free to reach out with any questions and enjoy your time here!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Within an hour's drive:

Anything in Rocky Mountain National Park. The penultimate is Longs Peak. Its the last 14er to melt out becoming ice-free in late July. There are time restrictions on entering the park every day. You'll probably beat the morning restriction, but encounter the afternoon one. If you plan to enter the park more than three times, then an annual pass is more economic.

To the southeast are Indian Peaks with various 12ers and 13ers. Some of their parking areas are fee based.

There are a couple ridges on both sides of Berthoud Pass, with 13er Mt Flora.

South of Berthoud along I70 are 14ers Blue Sky, Bierstadt, Grays and Torreys. Blue Sky requires a reservation. G&T have a nasty trailhead access road.

Two hours driving gets you to the fourteen Sawatch 14ers.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

My brother lives in Granby and you will love the area. Good fishing in the lakes BTW.

There is the Berthoud ridge 13ers that are fun. From the pass over to James Peak you can do five 13ers and St. Mary's glacier if you wanted too. You would have to back track though unless you have a partner that parks at St. Mary's glacier.
There are trails around and past Monarch Lake that are fun and can take you a long way if you want.
RMNP has a lot of trails to lakes and you can even hike the Colorado in RMNP while fly fishing which I have done.
two lunches
14ers: 38  2 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

nmjameswilson wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 am There is the Berthoud ridge 13ers that are fun. From the pass over to James Peak you can do five 13ers and St. Mary's glacier if you wanted too. You would have to back track though unless you have a partner that parks at St. Mary's glacier.
Rogers Pass? this sounds like a fun shuttle trip
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 263 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by illusion7il »

I live in Granby, and I put up reports covering all of the Indian Peaks, James Peak, and RMNP. The majority of these peaks can be reached from the west side. Outside of those areas, Beyers Peak might be one of the most enjoyable. Other notable Peaks are Park View, Ute Peak, Gravel Mountain. Feel free to hit me up and enjoy your time here.

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=21315

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=22252
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

illusion7il wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:27 am Other notable Peaks are Park View, Ute Peak, Gravel Mountain.
Can you get close to Gravel? Since the fire, all the roads I tried (last summer/fall) were closed and it's a really long way from the closures, at least from any route I tried. The shortest way might be from Lost Lake, but still pretty long?
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

nmjameswilson wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 am
There is the Berthoud ridge 13ers that are fun. From the pass over to James Peak you can do five 13ers and St. Mary's glacier if you wanted too. You would have to back track though unless you have a partner that parks at St. Mary's glacier.
It's a nice ridge run for sure, but if you're coming from the Granby side, it's a much shorter shuttle to go to Rogers Pass rather than St. Marys Glacier.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 711 2 8
Trip Reports (115)

Post by supranihilest »

two lunches wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:51 am
nmjameswilson wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 am There is the Berthoud ridge 13ers that are fun. From the pass over to James Peak you can do five 13ers and St. Mary's glacier if you wanted too. You would have to back track though unless you have a partner that parks at St. Mary's glacier.
Rogers Pass? this sounds like a fun shuttle trip
You can also try to hitchhike like I did though keep willingness of others to give you a hitch and safety in mind.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

ballardwf04 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:24 pm If possible, I'd love to do some things in the IPW as well- but I'm not sure how much, if any, of those peaks are accessible from the west side.
Possibly my favorite place in the entire IPW is the basin containing Stones and Upper Lakes, accessed by the Roaring Fork Trail. The trailhead is at a large campground on the furthest eastern reach of Lake Granby. The trail can take you to Watanga Lake, a worthy destination in itself, or Stones + Upper Lakes, which sit in a basin just outside the southwestern border of RMNP. From this basin you have access to shorter (but still awesome) peaks Hiamovi Mountain, Cooper Peak, Martin Peak (all of which are scrambles). You can also climb to the saddle between Cooper Peak and Ouzel Peak, the latter of which is within the park. From here the wild basin options open up for exploring within RMNP.

I went to said area on a backpacking trip and planned to day-trip Ouzel, Ogallala, Elk Tooth, and potentially Copeland peaks from Stones lake, though late-season snow foiled our attempts. Even without summits, Stones and Upper lakes are beautiful and worth a visit.

I will note that a GPX route to get to the lakes is a great idea, as the trail is in pretty bad condition for the last few miles.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/rec ... ecid=28580
Hiking when possible
ballardwf04
14ers: 48  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ballardwf04 »

Thanks all! These are great suggestions, and I'm excited to get out there this summer. Neva and Lone Eagle look particularly appealing. Once I get a better idea of which days I might have off, I'll send some PMs and we can organize something. Much appreciated!
"In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God."
Luke 6:12