Food/Snacks

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
terribletigzy
14ers: 35 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Food/Snacks

Post by terribletigzy »

Agree with others about bring some things and see what you actually eat. I've found that I really enjoy pretzels and some gummy candy (Haribo Twin Snakes have been my favorite lately). Both are calorie dense and high carb, maybe not the healthiest, but I like it and actually want to eat them.

Pretty sure I have a decrepit Clif bar at the bottom of my pack that's summited more peaks than any one granola bar should.
Live a Fuller Life
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'd just keep the answer simple and bring whatever you like to eat. I being canned oysters on most hikes; some people don't like them. If it's cold I'll bring snickers bars, but they melt when it's hot. I like dipping crunchy granola bars in peanut butter. Sometimes I just bring a box of cereal. Just eat what you want, though thinks like jerky can be harder to digest at high altitude.

I basically eat anything if it doesn't have mayo, mustard or ketchup, or some nuts since I am allergic to a few.

As far as losing my appetite on hikes or at altitude, that doesn't really happen to me, even at 20,000 feet. If other people lose their appetite at altitude or on hikes (not uncommon), I usually just end up eating their food too. I guess that's why I still weigh 270 even though I hike and climb every day.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cardgenius
14ers: 40  8  4 
13ers: 77 8 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cardgenius »

I burnt myself out on the typical hiking snacks(bars, gels, waffles) so now I bring a more traditional lunch. My go to items are:

Fruit - Grapes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Apple Sauce To-Go packs
Potato Chips - Salt and Vinegar, Sour Cream and Onion Lays
Soup - Broccoli Cheddar, Green Chile, Minestrone, Italian Wedding
Sandwhich - Turkey Bacon Guac or Ham and Cheese
Jerky
Leftover pizza is awesome and occasionally I’ll grab a plain Chick fil a sandwhich and a couple mayo packets.

I always carry a couple bars for backup but they rarely get eaten these days.
hardc0r3y
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hardc0r3y »

cardgenius wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:00 pm I burnt myself out on the typical hiking snacks(bars, gels, waffles) so now I bring a more traditional lunch. My go to items are:

Fruit - Grapes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Apple Sauce To-Go packs
Potato Chips - Salt and Vinegar, Sour Cream and Onion Lays
Soup - Broccoli Cheddar, Green Chile, Minestrone, Italian Wedding
Sandwhich - Turkey Bacon Guac or Ham and Cheese
Jerky
Leftover pizza is awesome and occasionally I’ll grab a plain Chick fil a sandwhich and a couple mayo packets.

I always carry a couple bars for backup but they rarely get eaten these days.
What does your pack weigh on average?
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Everyone has different tastes for hiking food.

One of the oddest choices I've seen included a group of hikers at the summit originally from eastern Europe. They proceeded to unpack large tins of canned sardines in oil. After slurping those down they drank the oil. Followed up with hard boiled eggs. My trail mix never looked so good!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

mtree wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 pm They proceeded to unpack large tins of canned sardines in oil. After slurping those down they drank the oil. Followed up with hard boiled eggs.
Can't blame them for following advice of the best, can of sardines or bowl of couscous is just a vehicle for oil: https://www.bonappetit.com/people/artic ... ition-food

But boiled eggs are clearly bad form, those should be prepared either Randy Marsh's or Rocky's way
cardgenius
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cardgenius »

hardc0r3y wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 pm What does your pack weigh on average?
Not exactly sure but I’d guess 12lbs when I carry 3L of water. I should weigh it before I go out this weekend.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

cardgenius wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 pm
hardc0r3y wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:04 pm What does your pack weigh on average?
Not exactly sure but I’d guess 12lbs when I carry 3L of water. I should weigh it before I go out this weekend.
Couldn't help it, SNL immediately popped into my mind
Wentzl
14ers: 58  22 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

ekalina wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:01 pm Pretty soon online forums will just consist of AI bots talking past each other. Kind of depressing.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY
cardgenius
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cardgenius »

cedica wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 pm Couldn't help it, SNL immediately popped into my mind
Haha that was great, Nate is hilarious.
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

PJ88 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 am
SkaredShtles wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:21 am Breakfast burritos, pocket-bacon, leftover pizza, al pastor tortas, and beer.

8)
https://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Por ... B01AWYY7ES

You’re welcome.
I use one of these under my jacket when skiing to keep my burritos piping hot on the slopes. (well like kind of warm-ish).
https://nalgene.com/product/32oz-sleeve-insulated-gray/
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

If I'm just out for a day hike or an easy overnight, I'll pack whatever sounds most appetizing, even if it ends up adding a little extra weight.

If I'm going to be out 3+ days, I'll start to more heavily consider caloric dense foods to cut down on bulk and weight. It's probably a personal preference, but for me having a little bit lighter and sleeker pack over days of hiking is more important than having my favorite food and snacks. Of course, I always have a few things I know I'll love namely a good candy mix!