Pikes Peak (or similar), June, First 14er

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Pikes Peak (or similar), June, First 14er

Post by Gandalf69 »

If this is your 1st 14er, I'd highly recommend doing something BEFORE pikes peak. While iconic, pikes peak is a slog to climb. It just keeps going and going, and the top is very flat and just ok. I've heard people on other peaks say, " I didn't know 14ers could be fun after doing pikes peak! You can still drive past and go visit, but to climb it is kinda an ordeal. Its a long route and starts way below treeline, unlike some other routes on peaks people have mentioned. Of course, if your dead set on pikes peak, then do your thing, but in my opinion all 14ers aren't created equal, and pikes peak kinda sucks.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
KState14er
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KState14er »

Gandalf69 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:58 am If this is your 1st 14er, I'd highly recommend doing something BEFORE pikes peak. While iconic, pikes peak is a slog to climb. It just keeps going and going, and the top is very flat and just ok. I've heard people on other peaks say, " I didn't know 14ers could be fun after doing pikes peak! You can still drive past and go visit, but to climb it is kinda an ordeal. Its a long route and starts way below treeline, unlike some other routes on peaks people have mentioned. Of course, if your dead set on pikes peak, then do your thing, but in my opinion all 14ers aren't created equal, and pikes peak kinda sucks.
+1. It was my third 14er. It wasn’t that cool.
Bryan Pate
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bryan Pate »

peter303 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:34 am
Bryan Pate wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:31 pm Longs Peak Keyhole route has a very good camping option at Boulderfield Campsites (12,800 ft). Campsites require permit inside Rocky Mountain National Park and is a very rewarding experience. Would not recommend Longs Peak Level 3 climb as a first 14er. Pikes, camping at A-frame, Barr Camp or anywhere in the national forest is a good first 14er camping option, my opinion. I have had several packing/camping experiences on the Barr Trail as well as three summits to Longs using Boulder Field. Like the camping options on climbs!
Longs is not a good first 14er, due to its class 3 parts and length. And definitely not a June mountain this year. Looks like nearby Trail Ridge Road will be opening at least two weeks late this year, implying lots of late snow in the area.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/ ... report.htm
Agree, Longs is not a good first 14er. Can speak from experience.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

If the OP is determined to climb Pike's, that's cool. It might be a slog, but it'll be memorable! And you'll be too busy trying to breathe to notice much about the scenery. In my experience, the first 14er for anyone is special regardless of the mountain. Everything is so big and expansive that its breathtaking to the uninitiated. Its only after multiple climbs that you become "picky" about the scenery. So have a raging time!!!

The summit is the big letdown. But where else can you get a donut at 14,000 feet!!!
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.