Pikes Peak (or similar), June, First 14er

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sdicenso
14ers: 38  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pikes Peak (or similar), June, First 14er

Post by sdicenso »

Fyi... the Pikes Peak Highway is closed June 23rd for the hill climb, so no rides down. They don't allow hikers past Devils Playground coming up from the Crags Trailhead either due to the race cars speeding through.
Stephanie Di Censo

In scientific work, those who refuse to go beyond fact rarely get as far as fact.
Thomas Huxley
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

If you're wanting to acclimate, do Barr Trail and stay at Barr Camp. Amazing experience you're not going to find anywhere else in Colorado. Long yes, but an easy route, sleeping at 10k feet works for acclimating. Park at the Manitou pool, walk the ten minutes to the free shuttle stop or take an Uber for the 4-5 minutes up to the trailhead. As far as snow goes, once you get into mid/late June there's usually just one snow fields that clips the edge of the trail like a 1/2 mile from the summit. Only redeeming quality to the Crags Route is it's shorter...
haala
Trip Reports (0)

Post by haala »

jrs1965 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:00 pm If you're wanting to acclimate, do Barr Trail and stay at Barr Camp. Amazing experience you're not going to find anywhere else in Colorado. Long yes, but an easy route, sleeping at 10k feet works for acclimating. Park at the Manitou pool, walk the ten minutes to the free shuttle stop or take an Uber for the 4-5 minutes up to the trailhead. As far as snow goes, once you get into mid/late June there's usually just one snow fields that clips the edge of the trail like a 1/2 mile from the summit. Only redeeming quality to the Crags Route is it's shorter...
Thanks for the info! Pikes Peak will definitely be on my agenda with the plan to hike Barr Trail and camp. I plan on monitoring hiking reviews/reports for trail conditions such as snow.
ECF55
14ers: 8 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Post by ECF55 »

haala wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:21 am
Thanks for the info! Pikes Peak will definitely be on my agenda with the plan to hike Barr Trail and camp. I plan on monitoring hiking reviews/reports for trail conditions such as snow.
Look into reservations for Barr Camp. They can fill up on the weekends.
haala
Trip Reports (0)

Post by haala »

ECF55 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:28 am
I'll probably just tent overnight.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

jrs1965 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:00 pm If you're wanting to acclimate, do Barr Trail and stay at Barr Camp. Amazing experience you're not going to find anywhere else in Colorado. Long yes, but an easy route, sleeping at 10k feet works for acclimating. Park at the Manitou pool, walk the ten minutes to the free shuttle stop or take an Uber for the 4-5 minutes up to the trailhead. As far as snow goes, once you get into mid/late June there's usually just one snow fields that clips the edge of the trail like a 1/2 mile from the summit. Only redeeming quality to the Crags Route is it's shorter...
Shoot me a PM when you head up. Good chance the north face routes will still be somewhat in at that time, I might be up there...
Mountainsabi
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mountainsabi »

Good morning.. I am heading up there on beginning of June.. solo.. is trail from base of mountain or further up.. and are there any descriptions for it. Also .. i do have my garmin..do i have to stay on trail or can i free climb? And do i need a climbing permit for that.. any one knows? I would appreciate the info.. thanks.. crampons needed?
Randy and Shay
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Randy and Shay »

Mountainsabi wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 7:45 am Good morning.. I am heading up there on beginning of June.. solo.. is trail from base of mountain or further up.. and are there any descriptions for it. Also .. i do have my garmin..do i have to stay on trail or can i free climb? And do i need a climbing permit for that.. any one knows? I would appreciate the info.. thanks.. crampons needed?
You would be wise to get a guidebook and do some research. Most of your questions could be answered with a guidebook by Gerry Roach. The trail starts in Manitou Springs at the base, right next to the Cog railway. You do not need a permit. From the sounds of your post, my advice would be to stay on the trail for a few reasons, your lack of knowledge of the mountain being the main reason. Going off route would not only take much longer and in this case, it's also not warranted at all. There are a number of issues I don't think you are aware of hiking a 14er, but I might be being presumptuous here, though I doubt it, lol.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

PJ88 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:35 pm You could pack up into Missouri Gulch and have Belford, Oxford, Missouri, and some 13ers available to you.
OP - Sounds like you are pretty set on Pikes, but above post would also not be a bad option. Assuming you plan to do Crags, hiking next to a road certainly removes the "wilderness" feel of a 14er—if you want a more classic 14er adventure, Belford/Oxford/Missouri out of that gulch would be fun. Also depends on snow conditions—depending on the weather from now thru the start of June, Pikes could be nearly dry above treeline with a nice trench down in the trees while Missouri Gulch could still have a base pack multiple feet deep. Or maybe the other way around.

Bierstadt, Torreys, Grays, Quandary, Sherman, etc would also be good options.
Hiking when possible
Bryan Pate
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bryan Pate »

haala wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:42 pm Thanks for the info. I'm contemplating some other beginner routes for a first timer as well like Gray's and Torreys or Mt. Bierstadt. I really want to do an overnighter though. Are there any other 14ers that have a common overnight option or camp?
Longs Peak Keyhole route has a very good camping option at Boulderfield Campsites (12,800 ft). Campsites require permit inside Rocky Mountian National Park and is a very rewarding exsperience. Would not recomend Longs Peak Level 3 climb as a first 14er. Pikes, camping at A-frame, Barr Camp or anywhere in the national forest is a good first 14er camping option, my opinion. I have had several packing/camping exsperiences on the Barr Trail as well as three summits to Longs using Boulder Field. Like the camping options on climbs!
Last edited by Bryan Pate on Wed May 29, 2024 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan Pate
14ers: 12 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bryan Pate »

haala wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:55 am
ECF55 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:28 am
I'll probably just tent overnight.
If Barr Camp is full, camping anywhere in the National Forest is permited. I have camped in sites accross the trail from Barr Camp using the same water source. Also camped further up the trail at A-Frame. A-frame, at tree line, gives an awesome view of Colorado Springs at night!!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Bryan Pate wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:31 pm Longs Peak Keyhole route has a very good camping option at Boulderfield Campsites (12,800 ft). Campsites require permit inside Rocky Mountian National Park and is a very rewarding exsperience. Would not recomend Longs Peak Level 3 climb as a first 14er. Pikes, camping at A-frame, Barr Camp or anywhere in the national forest is a good first 14er camping option, my opinion. I have had several packing/camping exsperiences on the Barr Trail as well as three summits to Longs using Boulder Field. Like the camping options on climbs!
Longs is not a good first 14er, due to its class 3 parts and length. And definitely not a June mountain this year. Looks like nearby Trail Ridge Road will be opening at least two weeks late this year, implying lots of late snow in the area.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/ ... report.htm