Pikes Peak (or similar), June, First 14er

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
haala
Trip Reports (0)

Pikes Peak (or similar), June, First 14er

Post by haala »

Hello, sending out a feeler. This is probably a bit early, but I like to be organized. I'm looking for a partner or 2 for a hike in June. Looking for my first 14er. Everything I've done prior is Southern Cali, Western SD and Arizona smaller hikes. I know Pikes Peak is commercialized and there are better views available. But Pikes Peak is on my list. Looking to come out a bit early to acclimate and to do an overnight hike or two. Would perhaps consider an additional or alternative hike as well. My days are flexible. If interested in chatting before hand we can plan it out. About me: 38, M, decent shape and continuing to work out. Peloton bike, row, guide user if you are on Peloton (jhaala). 605.521.0609.
Buckie06
14ers: 57  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Pikes Peak (or similar), June, First 14er

Post by Buckie06 »

Just so you know Pikes will most likely have snow that time of year. Be prepared with spikes and proper boots.
haala
Trip Reports (0)

Post by haala »

Buckie06 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:01 am Just so you know Pikes will most likely have snow that time of year. Be prepared with spikes and proper boots.
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to time it when there's just some residual snow and before summer thunderstorms. My dates are flexible so I can wait for ideal conditions if needed.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

September would be the best bet if you want a chance of no snow with fewer thunderstorms.

June will probably have snow on most routes, but it shouldn't be a huge issue on the standard routes late in that month (though do use your own judgement). Do wear a good pair of boots early season.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

July is good if you like wildflowers, although Pikes Peak isn't the best for that (too dry). Pikes Peak is generally considered a poor choice for a first 14er, as the routes are so long. I should know, it was my first.... From Colorado Springs, I can drive to the Mosquito 14ers, climb, and drive home in less time than it takes to do the Crags hike, and it's a generally nicer experience. Parking for Barr Trail is a nuisance - either expensive or inconvenient.
Thunderstorms are less of an issue than you'd think - mornings are generally clear and sunny in the summer, and many days are completely dry (good point forecasts are available from links on this site). You spend a lot of time above timberline on either Crags or Barr, but if you know the forecast and start early enough it's not necessarily a problem. September tends to have long, dry days, more so than the other months, but the foilage is also getting dry and brown by then.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
haala
Trip Reports (0)

Post by haala »

Thanks for the info. I'm contemplating some other beginner routes for a first timer as well like Gray's and Torreys or Mt. Bierstadt. I really want to do an overnighter though. Are there any other 14ers that have a common overnight option or camp?
PJ88
14ers: 37 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PJ88 »

You could pack up into Missouri Gulch and have Belford, Oxford, Missouri, and some 13ers available to you.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 65
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

haala wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:42 pm Thanks for the info. I'm contemplating some other beginner routes for a first timer as well like Gray's and Torreys or Mt. Bierstadt. I really want to do an overnighter though. Are there any other 14ers that have a common overnight option or camp?
Harvard/Columbia via Horn Fork Basin is a nice option for overnight backpacking trip. The best sites are on the Mt. Columbia trail after the split with the Mt. Harvard trail. You can find all the details on this site (routes/trip reports).
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Hwilborn9924
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hwilborn9924 »

I'd be down to hike with you! I'll be I'm town the 20-30th
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

June is the transitional month from late winter to summer. The beginning of the month could have have near continuous snow above treeline. And mostly gone by July 1. It depends if it snows a lot or little in May. May-June snow is soggy during mid-day with waist-deep post-holing. Then ice when it freezes overnight; traction recommended.
yogiberraofbadnews
14ers: 1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yogiberraofbadnews »

I did the Crags route during the Pikes Peak Hill Climb (car race) and really enjoyed it. I’m not into racing enough to go just for the race and not interested enough in the Crags side to do it without the race, so it was an interesting way to mix it up. If you’re set on an overnighter I’d recommend Barr trail instead, and try to find a ride back or take the cog down if you’re worried about too far of a round trip.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

What route are you looking at? The Crags is great - of the nine times I've done Pikes, six were on that route, and at least three of those times were with people who had never done a 14er. You'll have better views than from Barr Trail, less parking hassles, and it's a heck of a lot shorter.

Keep an eye on the snowpack for sure, though. I can see the peak sitting here, from my window, and it's more snowpacked than I've seen it in years. There's an article about it here that you might want to check out, along with the link to the Snotel Site at Glen Cove. Looks like it's going to take some time to melt out.

https://denvergazette.com/outtherecolor ... 10628.html