Pucon / Skiing Villarrica + Lanin in Chile

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Col_Forbin
14ers: 44  9  2 
13ers: 115 49 13
Trip Reports (3)

Pucon / Skiing Villarrica + Lanin in Chile

Post by Col_Forbin »

Has anyone been on a ski trip to Pucon and hit any of the surrounding volcanoes?

Planning on making a trip down to Chile in July.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Pucon / Skiing Villarrica + Lanin in Chile

Post by Scott P »

Villarrica is closed about half way up and likely won't be open anytime soon. Penalties are high for illegal ascents. Lanin will be easier from the Chile aide due to red tape issues. Off aeason ascents are hard to get permission for.
Other than that have fun.

Quetrupillán is next to Villarrica and would make a good alternative.

The ones farther north Llaima and Lonquimay are supposed to be good for skiing.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Col_Forbin
14ers: 44  9  2 
13ers: 115 49 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Col_Forbin »

That's unfortunate.

Thank you for the heads up!

Any recommendations on transportation to/from Temuco to the peaks? I don't really want or need a guide, but I have reached out to some agencies regarding transportation. If you have any info/trip reports from your visit that you can share, I would really appreciate it!!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Pucón is easy to reach using public transport from Temuco.

Stepping anywhere on Villarrica requires a guide. You can't get around it without a risk of being fined.

In summer buses go to many of the other tourist places, including trailheads, but I don't know about winter.

Lanín should not be difficult to get to by bus. At least two buses go from Pucón to over the border every day. Just have them drop you off at at the Chile trailhead just before you cross the border.

There are ski resorts at Llaima and Lonquimay so it shouldn't be hard to find transport there.

Quetrupillán would be harder to reach using public transport. You'd probably have to either rent a car or hire a driver, but it's not that far from Pucón.

Of note, August and September are the prime skiing months so public transport would likely be more frequent then. July is still early for skiing, depending on snowfall.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mw88888888
14ers: 39  17 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mw88888888 »

Yes, Villarrica, Casablanca, llaima, pucon, terms de chillan and lonquimay. All without a guide, and in September. Went back to villarrica and indeed, they now require a guide. The rest are much more entertaining. Rent a car and hit them all. Car camped for a month up and down the chain, it was awesome. Get the hot springs ala eastern sierra stylee. These are high peaks and corn season is the time to get them. Avy danger is high. But maybe early season might be ok before terrible? Good luck.