Backpacking in Switzerland in June, looking for suggestions

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gazer
Trip Reports (0)

Backpacking in Switzerland in June, looking for suggestions

Post by gazer »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, so please forgive me if I did not follow the guidelines, it was not on purpose )

We are a group of okay hikers looking for a suggestions on our Switzerland "backpacking" trip.
Our level: We've hiked and/or regularly hike Mt Mt Elbert, La Plata, Mt Whitney, Mt Shasta, Cactus to Clouds e.t.c. Nothing too crazy but can do things if necessary.
What we are looking for: a 4-5 nights "backpacking" chill scenic hiking route in Switzerland in June the way you can sleep at huts/hostels/inns/hotels and ideally eat real food for lunch as well, at least sometimes, so basically hiking from civilization to civilization while seeing the best Switzerland got to offer.

Here’s a master plan https://s.geo.admin.ch/vkyx9g6mo2j8
~36 miles with ~12k elevation, looks easy
Hiking left to right. We have up to 5 nights, theoretically we will still have time to hike from Grindelwald to Iseltwald but can finish at Grindelwald and take a bus/taxi to Iseltwald.

Looking for any suggestions,
Regards,
Tony
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Backpacking in Switzerland in June, looking for suggestions

Post by Scott P »

Just be aware that a lot of Huts don't open until late June.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Gulf_Coast_Hiker
14ers: 14 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gulf_Coast_Hiker »

That's a great area to hike, but for sure they can have plenty of snow in June. I was there many years ago in early June and it snowed close to a foot the night before I attempted to hike from Lauterbrunnen to the Schilthorn. I made it to the Birg station before I gave up, but it was a good effort. Anyway, it will be a spectacular hike, just be sure once you are back to do a trip report here with some pics. :thumbup:
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

Was going to start my own thread but I hope Gazer won’t mind me adding to this one to limit the number of Swiss Alps posts clogging this Colorado forum.

I’m looking at taking a trip to Switzerland in June 2024 to climb some easy and moderate 4000m peaks. Unfortunately I don’t have any committed climbing partners joining me, so my choices are finding partners there or hiring guides to rope up with which seems overkill for walk ups like Breithorn or Allalinhorn. I’m comfortable on glaciated terrain and snow/ice up to 70 degrees and have been climbing for more than a decade, so I don’t want to pay somebody to show me how to put on crampons or self-arrest.

My question is: on crowded easy 4000m peaks like these (the Quandary’s and Sherman’s of the Alps), is joining groups on-site (as in, at the top of the lifts) possible/frequent? Obviously there’s risk tying in with strangers and trusting they can remove me from a crevasse, but other than that, is group-formation high on the mountain a thing that happens? This will be my first international climbing trip and I’ve no idea if people meet up like this for easy alpine climbing on that side of the pond.
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

I've been to Switzerland twice and Chamonix once for summer hiking/running/mountaineering. In my experience, any kind of meet-and-climb operations are going to be local and probably not something you can easily plan from the US. The language barrier and objectives/styles/abilities of different people can make it hard to stumble upon someone you might want to share a rope with. But, it does happen. I turned around at 13,400' on Mont Blanc in August because of terrible weather and talked to 2 people who retreated from higher up on the mountain. They joined up during the climb to climb in the same rope team despite not knowing each other.

The MySwissAlps website has a forum similar to this one that I've used for Switzerland planning in the past. You could try posting there, since it's much more specific than the 14ers website.
https://www.myswissalps.com/community/
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
gazer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gazer »

Scott P wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:47 pm Just be aware that a lot of Huts don't open until late June.
Thank you for idea, will move our trip the way that we will start hiking no earlier than June 23rd
Gulf_Coast_Hiker wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:56 pm ...just be sure once you are back to do a trip report here with some pics. :thumbup:
Thank you for input regarding snow, we are not afraid of it and well prepared, worst case we will not summit couple of peaks, I guess. I definitely will post a pics.

Tim A wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:01 am Was going to start my own thread but I hope Gazer won’t mind me adding to this one to limit the number of Swiss Alps posts clogging this Colorado forum.
Please be my guest and good luck with your climbing trip! We would join, but our plan is being able to do a part of the hike with kids so we are looking for something less challenging.