Hiking Boots Help!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Safaoro
Trip Reports (0)

Hiking Boots Help!

Post by Safaoro »

Ok I need help trying to find new hiking boots. I have broke my ankles in the past and wanna stick with boots. I currently use my Columbia boots but they are worn out with holes. I’m very athletic and a female if that matters lol.
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Hiking Boots Help!

Post by zootloopz »

Best bet is to hit up an REI or local outdoor gear shop and try on a bunch of different brands -- go with what feels comfy while walking around the store that doesn't have your heel sliding around or your toes too crammed towards the front.

I'm currently rocking wide fit sportiva ultra raptor 2 mid GTXs
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 161 29
Trip Reports (73)

Post by daway8 »

REI footwear is, by and large, ridiculously overpriced and doesn't perform any better than cheaper footwear from elsewhere (at least that's been my experience). You can sometimes find identical footwear elsewhere at dramatically lower prices.

Comparable footwear at a little more reasonable price can be found at Scheels (huge selection) or better pricing yet at Dick's Sporting Goods (small selection). Also Jax is worth trying or, if you don't mind having to hunt around, Sierra Trading Post.

But honestly I hiked for years in Walmart boots and did just fine. Pricey REI boots wore out as fast as the Walmart ones. Depends on how picky you are and if you want any particular features (insulation, venting, waterproofing, crampon compatible, good edging, softness, strong support, winter/summer, etc).

If you're looking specifically for mountaineering boots (for serious winter hikes with crampons) then Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder is an excellent spot with very helpful staff (I think they have regular boots too but it's rather out of the way for me so I've only gone there for mountaineering boots).
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Agree...just have to try on a bunch and see what fits best for your specific feet. The fact that you already know you want boots versus short trail runners eliminates more than half the style so that helps.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... boots.html
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Slightly off topic -

Has anyone visited Larry's Boot Fitter in Boulder since Larry Houchen sold the business and retired?

He used to be my "Go To" shop for ski boot issues.
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (5)

Post by zootloopz »

daway8 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:03 pm REI footwear is, by and large, ridiculously overpriced and doesn't perform any better than cheaper footwear from elsewhere (at least that's been my experience). You can sometimes find identical footwear elsewhere at dramatically lower prices...
Fair enough for sure. Although I appreciate the return policy of REI when trying out gear for the first time should it not work out, particularly with boots.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 161 29
Trip Reports (73)

Post by daway8 »

zootloopz wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:17 pm
daway8 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:03 pm REI footwear is, by and large, ridiculously overpriced and doesn't perform any better than cheaper footwear from elsewhere (at least that's been my experience). You can sometimes find identical footwear elsewhere at dramatically lower prices...
Fair enough for sure. Although I appreciate the return policy of REI when trying out gear for the first time should it not work out, particularly with boots.
It is a nice perk, as are the dividends for members, but their return policy has become dramatically more restrictive in recent years and their dividends don't really offset how overpriced some of their stuff (especially footwear) is.

REI used to be my go-to for all things outdoors because they had so much selection and nice perks but now the competition is outdoing them on inventory/selection/pricing/etc.

Sorry for the sidetrack - just wanted the OP to know there are more options out there than there used to be. REI has its strengths but there are a lot of options available now, especially on the Front Range.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

daway8 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:03 pm But honestly I hiked for years in Walmart boots and did just fine. Pricey REI boots wore out as fast as the Walmart ones.
Judging by the smell of typical Walmart shoes department, one can catch cancer just standing there. It's probably safer to live at Rocky Flats than to work there.
invisiblebear
14ers: 31 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by invisiblebear »

Salomon mid-cut hiking boots with Gore-Tex have been my favorite for Summer conditions backpacking and 14er scrambling.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Safaoro wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:44 pm Ok I need help trying to find new hiking boots. I have broke my ankles in the past and wanna stick with boots. I currently use my Columbia boots but they are worn out with holes. I’m very athletic and a female if that matters lol.
One other note on high boots vs. trailrunners regarding your ankles: At least in most all the boots I've used, even very high winter boots unless they were very tight and laced very (too) tight and even then, they didn't really offer such support that might prevent turning an ankle in a fall. What they did was provide protection from abrasion and banging my ankles against rocks and more warmth in colder weather and a modicum of more waterproofness.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  9  18 
13ers: 63 3 11
Trip Reports (44)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

How recently did the breaks occur? If you’re still dealing with lingering swelling that’s likely to go down some (consider asking your ortho about that if you didn’t already get some info), you don’t want to spend too much money when you’ll probably have to trade in for a better fit sooner rather than later. If that’s the case, you might want to try one of the cheaper options first, maybe even try on some of the men’s boots wherever you go to see if they offer a better fit.

If your ankles are as settled as they’re supposed to be and you like the boots you have, you might want to see if you can find an updated pair. Been my own preference not to mess with what I know will work.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
ProfetaP
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ProfetaP »

I don't know if La Sportiva's fit you, but I rock these and love them. I wear them for 14ers, 2nd flat iron climbs, and other moderately technical stuff. They seem to be holding up way better then other boots I've owned from Columbia and Salomon.

https://www.rei.com/product/113121/la-s ... lsrc=aw.ds