Winter 14ers record attempt?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 352 11
Trip Reports (59)

Winter 14ers record attempt?

Post by d_baker »

I was asked in a txt today about a guy going for the winter 14er record.
I've seen the condition reports, and the comment to his latest about "breaking the record" which I assume is Hamilton's single season record.

Is this legit? Has that been put out there elsewhere?
The winter 14er guys (dannyg comes to mind) that track this closer than I, might know more?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Winter 14ers record attempt?

Post by justiner »

Chris is out there right now. Hell of a winter to try, hope they stay safe. Erin Ton has been with him on a lot of the trips.

https://www.instagram.com/chrisjfish/
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 183 42 31
Trip Reports (2)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

best of luck to them, avy conditions are sketch right now
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

justiner wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:37 pm Chris is out there right now. Hell of a winter to try, hope they stay safe. Erin Ton has been with him on a lot of the trips.

https://www.instagram.com/chrisjfish/
For the people who don’t have meta accounts, what’s he at? When did he start?
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

He has 20 at the moment - most of them being Sawatch, Mosquito/Tenmile + Front Range.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 658 132 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 108 19 5
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Jorts »

nsaladin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:55 pm For the people who don’t have meta accounts, what’s he at? When did he start?
You can follow him on Strava: "Christopher Fisher"

He started with Pikes on Jan 6. Got shutdown by snow and avalanche conditions in the Crestones on Jan. 7 and then decided to go after the low hanging fruit of the Mosquitos/Tenmile, Front Range and Sawatch after that. Down here in the southern SJs we just got hammered with several feet of snow in the last month and the persistent weak layers are becoming harder to trigger. If those weak layers are bridged by the deep snowpack and essentially dormant, he has a good shot at knocking out the SJs with ski approaches and descents. That would make the Eolus and Wilson groups so much easier.

But if the snowpack evolves into more of a deep persistent slab issue, I'd be kind of terrified of attempting many of the 14ers down here.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Comparing efforts seems to trigger various egos, but I will do it anyways. During Seeber's attempt, a certain knowledgable crowd gave the chances of success for a single winter around 10% purely based on average reasonable conditions windows for the hard peaks. It is no secret those conditions windows are longer and better in the past decade, but this year might be an exception.

Avy conditions:
-worse early avy conditions than Seeber's attempt.
-significantly worse early conditions than Hamilton's.
-possibly on par with Maki's.
-I'm sure someone could correlate the number of peaks versus CAIC rating and snow coverage.
-trail breaking and snow coverage seem above average from the past several years (where's the chart guy at?). He was still barely able to drive to some early season trailheads, such as Missouri Gulch, but hardly a trail runner kind of winter.

Peak selection:
-he's gambling heavily on a stable late season. This will make or break his attempt. It would have been ideal to knock out at least a few of the Dirty Dozen (Nolan moniker?) with less snow, despite the forecast, were he serious. Frankly, the dirty dozen are all that matters; the remaining 14ers are just a matter of time, effort and wind tolerance.

Experience:
-this is an important factor and difficult to gauge, especially since everyone has different strengths. Some previous iterations lacked at least one of technical ability, suffering/slog mindset, or winter experience. Conditions can heavily influence necessity of those skillsets.
-what does Chris have? Seems an experienced skier. His decisions on the Crestones (failed trench poach?) were head scratchers. He did refer to that venture as a mistake, so he could be a quick learner. We'll see once he gets to the hard ones.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Will Chris be doing Lindsey as part of this?
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:41 am Will Chris be doing Lindsey as part of this?
How bout Challenger??
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I don't think I've ever seen such a concerted effort on social media to tell me to think long and hard about avy conditions. I've got friggin' Jeremy Jones telling me about the CO snowpack being touchy - and I don't even follow him!

I'd love to get out this summer to take back the self-powered 14er record - itching! even, but I was the dum dum that put, "try not to break the law" in the rules they follow, so I'm holding out, until I can do it legally like some boy scout.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 183 42 31
Trip Reports (2)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

justiner wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:45 am I don't think I've ever seen such a concerted effort on social media to tell me to think long and hard about avy conditions. I've got friggin' Jeremy Jones telling me about the CO snowpack being touchy - and I don't even follow him!

I'd love to get out this summer to take back the self-powered 14er record - itching! even, but I was the dum dum that put, "try not to break the law" in the rules they follow, so I'm holding out, until I can do it legally like some boy scout.
no conspiracy here, basically everywhere i've gone ive experienced whoomphs/shooting cracks, not really a huge deal for front range/mosquito/tenmile/sawatch but san juans get steep