Maroon bells traverse - June 30

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ClimbingFool
14ers: 50
13ers: 4

Maroon bells traverse - June 30

Post by ClimbingFool »

Who would like to join me on the bells traverse June 30? I have a parking permit and plan to leave from Maroon Lake TH about 2:00am. Prefer a partner with route finding ability, some class 4 or rock climbing experience, and who will be patient as this flatlander naturally slows on the upper, steeper sections.
ladnerkm
14ers: 50 3

Re: Maroon bells traverse - June 30

Post by ladnerkm »

I would love to join if there’s any chance you could do it a couple days later on July 2. Cheers
ClimbingFool

Post by ClimbingFool »

Due to our accommodations, my schedule is locked in to those dates. But perhaps I can interest you in the El Diente / Mt. Wilson traverse on July 2?
Scott P
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 44 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

ClimbingFool wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:36 am Prefer a partner with route finding ability, some class 4 or rock climbing experience, and who will be patient as this flatlander naturally slows on the upper, steeper sections.
I'm not trying to be a safety nanny, but you are taking and know how to use an ice axe, right? Given the heat and dryness, it is possible that it might not be needed by then, but I wouldn't count on it in June, even in a drier year. In 2012 which had even lower snowpack, an ice axe was still needed when we did Pyramid on June 30 and I'm guessing the Bells were the same.

I would highly recommend taking and knowing how to use an ice axe if doing that route in June. There's a chance it might not be needed, but you would be taking a risk without one. On most routes it wouldn't be a problem since you can just turn back if you got to a slope that needed an ice axe (if you didn't have one), but the Bells Traverse is different. What if you got 95% across the ridge and came to such a slope? Would you reverse the entire traverse?

Anyway, if you are taking and know how to use an ice axe, disregard this notice. Remind your friends or climbing partners though.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
ClimbingFool

Post by ClimbingFool »

Scott P wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:49 am
ClimbingFool wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:36 am Prefer a partner with route finding ability, some class 4 or rock climbing experience, and who will be patient as this flatlander naturally slows on the upper, steeper sections.
I'm not trying to be a safety nanny, but you are taking and know how to use an ice axe, right?
Absolutely! Unless I know from recent peak conditions that the axe isn't warranted, it comes along. Appreciate the words of caution.
Scott P
14ers: 51 16
13ers: 44 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

ClimbingFool wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 am Absolutely! Unless I know from recent peak conditions that the axe isn't warranted, it comes along. Appreciate the words of caution.
Excellent! Have a good time!
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
climbingcue
14ers: 58 7 17
13ers: 174 8 9

Post by climbingcue »

From your post it looks like you are looking for a guide that will do it for free. You are asking for someone to take a ton of risk and responsibility and they get to move slow with you as an added benefit. I hope you can find someone and I hope you can get the traverse done safely. I think you should be selling your strengths better. All I see in your post is liabilities with no reward.

I have been seeing this trend in many posts lately with people asking for rides up 4WD roads with nothing other than just a thank you (if that) cheap people who sponge 🧽 off of other people get forgotten about very quickly. Sorry this is in your post, but I have been used and taking advantage of too much with my 4WD truck.
Consecutive months with at least one 14er, 43 months and counting...
ClimbingFool

Post by ClimbingFool »

climbingcue wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:02 pm From your post it looks like you are looking for a guide that will do it for free.
Darn - I see now how this could have been perceived, and I should have stated it differently. I'm willing to do the traverse on my own but would feel better if I had someone along with whom I can discuss options. I'm a decent rock climber, have done some route finding, on albeit less challenging terrain, have 'guided' less experienced climbers, and am prepared for a long, tough day. On this route I would prefer to pair up with someone who has similar abilities.
climbingcue
14ers: 58 7 17
13ers: 174 8 9

Post by climbingcue »

That is much better, state your strengths. You can make a great team with the right person. The traverse is definitely a route you do not want to get off course.

Good luck and climb safe.

Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 14er, 43 months and counting...