Daytripping Chicago Basin from Purgatory

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Daytripping Chicago Basin from Purgatory

Post by CaptCO » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:55 am

illusion7il wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:55 am
CaptCO wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:42 pm
If you planned on doing so, + conquering no name saddle, into ruby creek. Followed by P/T, would it be doable in 36hrs without going crazy?
I think the issue with this would be trying to get all the peaks in the daylight, but sure anything is possible. Either way, you would be ascending or descending the N. Pigeon creek bushwhack in the dark, which is beyond my level of fun. P/T in a day is easier and a good warmup for Chicago Basin in a day.
Thanks for the tip, what you’ve accomplished is very impressive! Nice work
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
stoopdude
14ers: 57 3
13ers: 33

Post by stoopdude » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:13 am

Related, has anyone here day-tripped Jupiter or the Chicago Basin 14ers from Vallecito? I think this would be an interesting way to do Jupiter while getting to see an entirely new drainage. I reckon this would come out to 37-38 miles and 8-9000k gain, although its unclear to me if you can save some distance by taking the ridge up from Columbine Lake (does it go?). This is probably the very top end of what I'd be willing to try in a day.
CaptCO
14ers: 58 14
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CaptCO » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:43 am

stoopdude wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:13 am
Related, has anyone here day-tripped Jupiter or the Chicago Basin 14ers from Vallecito? I think this would be an interesting way to do Jupiter while getting to see an entirely new drainage. I reckon this would come out to 37-38 miles and 8-9000k gain, although its unclear to me if you can save some distance by taking the ridge up from Columbine Lake (does it go?). This is probably the very top end of what I'd be willing to try in a day.
Whilst doing Jupitor (Jupiter?) I set up camp near the twin lakes split for Phizz (didn’t want to overexert the pup), coming up the final switchback where it planes out a bit, I saw a couple coming up some gnarly looking ridge. They ended up making it over to Jupiter from the far side, and meeting us on the false summit. I thought it was spectacular they made such good timing on something which looked class 5. I suppose it goes in other words, but I’d imagine the possibility of severe bushwhacking could eat up some time. I’m interested in the Jagged side of things myself.

Alec (king of run on sentences)
"It's a thing if you want it to be a thing. What others think of something is irrelevant." -OldSchool

Proof is in the progress, patience is essence; I’m crazy as a fox

"The future no longer belongs to my generation"

DM @Capt_Alec for nudes
ker0uac
14ers: List not added

Post by ker0uac » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:07 pm

Oh man, I thought this thread was about getting high during the day in the C-basin, soo disappointed
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
stoopdude

Post by stoopdude » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:58 pm

CaptCO wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:43 am
stoopdude wrote:
Whilst doing Jupitor (Jupiter?) I set up camp near the twin lakes split for Phizz (didn’t want to overexert the pup), coming up the final switchback where it planes out a bit, I saw a couple coming up some gnarly looking ridge. They ended up making it over to Jupiter from the far side, and meeting us on the false summit. I thought it was spectacular they made such good timing on something which looked class 5. I suppose it goes in other words, but I’d imagine the possibility of severe bushwhacking could eat up some time. I’m interested in the Jagged side of things myself.

Alec (king of run on sentences)
Thanks Alec. One thing I've learned the hard way is that its usually quicker to do some extra mileage on a trail than to try to take shortcuts. Unfortunately doing Jupiter from Vallecito by Roach's southwest slopes route involves ~1000 feet of loss and regain, which grinds my gears more than the mileage. I also usually don't like to exceed class 3 by myself.
seano
14ers: 56
13ers: 131
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:03 pm

stoopdude wrote:
Yeah, I did Jupiter from Vallecito: http://www.drdirtbag.com/2016/09/29/jupiter-10h50/ . You can cut through via Hazel Lake to save some time, which I only discovered on the return. No idea on the stats.
stoopdude

Post by stoopdude » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:43 pm

seano wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:03 pm
stoopdude wrote:
Yeah, I did Jupiter from Vallecito: http://www.drdirtbag.com/2016/09/29/jupiter-10h50/ . You can cut through via Hazel Lake to save some time, which I only discovered on the return. No idea on the stats.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.
terrysrunning
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 40

Post by terrysrunning » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:32 am

I think finding the right weather is harder than doing the route. To this day, that's the only time I've ever backpacked, but I wouldn't have bothered if I could have gotten a good weather window. But I knew it was going to storm, I knew I was going to do Jupiter as well, and I had dreams of also getting P/T if everything had gone perfectly. At it was, storms chased me down a few times, so I wasn't having fun any more and headed back into Silverton to get peach cobbler at Handlebars after hitting the 5 in the Chicago Basin. If I could have waited for good weather, I think doing them in one push is waaay easier. But as spots to camp go, that one doesn't suck, so I don't regret backpacking just that once. If I'd run in there, and gotten chased down by storms and had to make another trip back for an orphan, I'd have been really annoyed.