Kilimanjaro Guide Reccomendations

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bramasoleiowa
14ers: 12 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kilimanjaro Guide Reccomendations

Post by bramasoleiowa »

TAMU85 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:07 am How was flying Qatar Airlines? Did you layover in Doha, Hamid? If so, is it worth getting a hotel room in the airport to catch up on sleep during the layover?
My QA flight left Dallas somewhere close to midnight, so I slept for awhile on the flight. Arrived in Doha at night, bought an espresso and some fruit from a coffee kiosk and read a book until it was time to board my flight to Tanzania. I'm sure the rooms in the airport hotel are amazing, based on the advertisements I saw, but I like people-watching in airports. All of the luxury stores were open at 1am in case you need to purchase a diamond tennis bracelet.

On the tarmac, Doha smelled a lot like Baghdad.
“I take all day to climb mountains and then spend about 10 minutes at the top admiring the view.”
–- Sebastian Thrun
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 163 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

bramasoleiowa wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:29 am
TAMU85 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:07 am How was flying Qatar Airlines? Did you layover in Doha, Hamid? If so, is it worth getting a hotel room in the airport to catch up on sleep during the layover?
My QA flight left Dallas somewhere close to midnight, so I slept for awhile on the flight. Arrived in Doha at night, bought an espresso and some fruit from a coffee kiosk and read a book until it was time to board my flight to Tanzania. I'm sure the rooms in the airport hotel are amazing, based on the advertisements I saw, but I like people-watching in airports. All of the luxury stores were open at 1am in case you need to purchase a diamond tennis bracelet.

On the tarmac, Doha smelled a lot like Baghdad.
The hotel in Doha is expensive for the short amount of time. I'm sure it's really nice but the cost might be hard to justify. There are sleeping lounges with somewhat flat chairs. They are quiet and if you can catch a few hours of sleep better than nothing.

Qatar Airways might be the best airline I've ever flown. It was a really nice flight all things considered.
bramasoleiowa
14ers: 12 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bramasoleiowa »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:46 am Qatar Airways might be the best airline I've ever flown. It was a really nice flight all things considered.
Plus the food. *chef's kiss*
“I take all day to climb mountains and then spend about 10 minutes at the top admiring the view.”
–- Sebastian Thrun
KState14er
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KState14er »

I slept in the airport. It was fine.