Watches

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 261 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Watches

Post by Reg0928 »

icestorm wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:11 am My wife has a Garmin 6s as well and the only observation we had was that the distance is sometimes off by a mile or two on our watches during hikes but not a big deal.
Oddly enough my 6 Pro Solar is generally 1-2 miles off from my hiking partner's Fenix 5x as well.
skyrme17
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by skyrme17 »

Reg0928 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:14 am
icestorm wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:11 am My wife has a Garmin 6s as well and the only observation we had was that the distance is sometimes off by a mile or two on our watches during hikes but not a big deal.
Oddly enough my 6 Pro Solar is generally 1-2 miles off from my hiking partner's Fenix 5x as well.
I use a Garmin Venu 2, and have noticed some inaccuracies in both distance and elevation. I later found out that the geolocation has three settings GPS + Glonass, GPS + Galileo, or GPS only. As I recall the factory setting was GPS+Glonass. Recently I've used the GPS only setting which seems to work better, although I have not compared different settings for the same hike.
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 261 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

skyrme17 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:43 am
Reg0928 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:14 am
I use a Garmin Venu 2, and have noticed some inaccuracies in both distance and elevation. I later found out that the geolocation has three settings GPS + Glonass, GPS + Galileo, or GPS only. As I recall the factory setting was GPS+Glonass. Recently I've used the GPS only setting which seems to work better, although I have not compared different settings for the same hike.
Good thought. Mine is definitely GPS + Glonass. I'm gonna see if my hiking partner's older watch is running on GPS only
axjgakv
Trip Reports (0)

Post by axjgakv »

I've been an avid hiker for years, and finding the right watch to accompany me on my adventures was crucial. After some research, I settled on the Garmin Instinct, and it's been my trusted companion ever since. The GPS tracking is spot-on, guiding me through even the most rugged terrains with ease.
However, I won't sugarcoat it – the price tag did give me a bit of sticker shock at first. But the investment has definitely paid off in terms of functionality and reliability. That said, if you're on a budget, I recently stumbled upon some replica watches that offer a similar look and feel to high-end models. It's a practical alternative for those who want the luxury without breaking the bank.