Trail running bucket list

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Otzi
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Trail running bucket list

Post by Otzi »

Bombay2Boulder wrote:On a related note, has anyone ran the Teton Crest trail? It is looking really beautiful and tempting for this August.
Agreed, have it on my list this summer too...
gzrrnnr
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gzrrnnr »

The Teton Crest Trail is an incredible trip on the west side of the Tetons. Ran from above Wilson to String Lake, via Paint Brush Divide. Took about 12 hours and I think it is about 46 miles. Take bear spray - encountered large tracks going the same way I was added to the adventure. Elk, deer, and moose were also seen on the run. You gotta take a camera.
thebeave7
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

So I'm going to reiterate a few things others said, as a point of agreement.

Colorado
Four Pass Loop (top of my list, even internationally)
Bridge of Heaven
Pawnee Buchanan loop
Devils Thumb/Kings Lake loop
Ten Mile Traverse

Other US
Teton Circumnavigation (many variations, can include parts of the Teton Crest)
Zion Traverse
Bryce Canyon Under the Rim trail to Fairyland Pt
Grand Canyon R2R2R (or R2R)
Paria/Buckskin Gulch (as Peter said, otherwordly, and never talked about)
Coyote Gulch
Little Wildhorse and Bell canyons (short, but awesome)
Peekaboo and Spooky (more scramble than run, but tons of fun)
Copper Ridge loop, WA
Lost Coast, CA
Yosemite has several great trails/loops that include Half Dome and great views of the Valley
John Muir Trail (ok, not a run, but amazing 7-12day backpack!)
Mt Marathon, Alaska

International
Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc circumnav (multiday)
Cinque Terre, Italy
Tre Cime area of the Dolomites outside Cortina
Kepler Track New Zealand
Abel Tasman Track New Zealand
Tongariro Crossing New Zealand
Routeburn Track New Zealand
Any number of trails in the Annapurna region of Nepal
Three Pass Loop Everest region (more a fast pack)
Fitz Roy/El Chalten region of Patagonia
Mirador de los Torres, Torres del Paine Chile

That's all I can think of at the moment, but the list grows longer everyday. Also there are lots of other fantastic running areas that won't qualify as a single bucket list item, but are amazing none the less. Iceland, Switzerland (Lauterbrunnen/Grindlewald, Zermatt), Italian Dolomites, most of Nepal, Bariloche Argentina, could go on and on.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 52  49  1 
13ers: 46 34
Trip Reports (23)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

The Dolomites are the most beautiful mountains in the world, and I've had them all.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:The Dolomites are the most beautiful mountains in the world, and I've had them all.
Indeed. Kicked off my honeymoon in the Dolomites.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
RETEP 1
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

One of my goals for this year is Summit Lake to Loveland Pass...
rquayle
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rquayle »

11 mile Kalalau Trail along Kauai coast - rugged and fantastic!
gunnison_garrett14
14ers: 58  13  5 
13ers: 157 9 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gunnison_garrett14 »

RETEP 1 wrote:One of my goals for this year is Summit Lake to Loveland Pass...
This is a great one, ran it last summer! Tons of vert, lots of summits, and you're above treeline the whole time.

My growing list would have to include:

Colorado-
4 Pass Loop
Scarp's Ridge
Bells from CB
Evan's Egis
Grand Slam on Longs
Tenmile Traverse
Grand Traverse
Some kind of crazy peak bagging, ridge running link up through the mosquito range
Ring The Peak trail

Other U.S.-
R2R2R in Arizona
Buckskin Gulch in Utah
Wonderland Trail in Washington

International-
Hardergrat Trail in Switzerland
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by AnnaG22 »

I really want to do the Hardergrat in Switzerland. I need to get back into regular decent volume runs and don't know when I can make Hardergrat happen, but holy moly is it gorgeous and awesome looking.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
headsizeburrito
14ers: 30  18 
13ers: 90 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

I suppose it all depends on what is doable in a single day for a person. I've done a couple mentioned in this thread and have trip reports:

R2R2R: https://old.reddit.com/r/hiking/comment ... eport_and/

Virginia Triple Crown: https://old.reddit.com/r/VIRGINIA_HIKIN ... nd_photos/

The Wild Oak Trail: https://old.reddit.com/r/VIRGINIA_HIKIN ... _national/

I would add the Loowit Trail around Mt St Helens in WA. I've done it as a backpacking trip before getting into distance running but it's very doable for a reasonably serious trail runner and is absolutely unique as a landscape in the US: https://fastestknowntime.com/route/loowit-trail-wa

Hoping to do Four Pass Loop myself this year (plus tagging a few of the 13ers along the way since I'll already be there and need to make it more of a hassle...)
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Adding Buckskin BM to 4PL is extremely worth it. Not that much additional distance but absolutely iconic views.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  9  18 
13ers: 63 3 11
Trip Reports (44)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

AnnaG22 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:52 am Adding Buckskin BM to 4PL is extremely worth it. Not that much additional distance but absolutely iconic views.
Skipped BBM when I was up there because it was getting kinda late in the day by the time I got to the pass, and I took it as a personal challenge to get back to Maroon Lake before sunset, and also I could see people following a trail that went up somewhere, but I wasn’t sure where. Drat, guess I’ll have to go do the whole loop all over again. :-D
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)