Not Another F---ing Fourteener Podcast

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  9  18 
13ers: 63 3 11
Trip Reports (43)

Not Another F---ing Fourteener Podcast

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

After finally finishing the freaking fourteeners last September, I decided to move on and focus on other things in life...like writing about fourteeners, then recording audio of what I'd written.

These stories go back to when I started hiking, so we're talking decades ago, and therefore I would not be surprised if my most oft-repeated phrase in what I've written/recorded so far (five that are fully ready to go with another three in various stages of readiness, though I've only hit "Publish" on the first one so far) is, "I don't remember..." Additionally, there is little to no information contained in any of this that would be useful to anyone looking for the right way to climb fourteeners, although anyone who is looking for the wrong way and/or is an aspiring psych Ph.D. or M.D. eager to delve into research on unprocessed trauma may get some purely metaphorical mileage out of my rambling.

I'll also continue to post the written versions here for those who find my voice more grating than soporific and thus would rather use non-vocalized logorrhea to put themselves to sleep (first story is here), but for those who like to psych themselves out on the way to or even on the hike from a trailhead, here's your listening material. You should also be able to search for Of Mice and Mountaineers on Amazon Music, Pocket Casts, and Castbox; I went with Spotify because this is a labor of the aforementioned unprocessed trauma...er, I mean, love...and thus it seemed most prudent to go with a free hosting option so that I could at least break even.

Hopefully someone enjoys reading/hearing about these misadventures more than I "enjoyed" living them, and oh boy, is the bar ever in Hell, as the kids say!
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
Ryan P
14ers: 11 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Not Another F---ing Fourteener Podcast

Post by Ryan P »

Sweet, I'm always down to listen to more mountaineering podcasts. Just a heads up, though... when I search for precisely "Of Mice and Mountaineers" on Spotify, you're the 7th result. It puts you below several entries for Of Mice and Men (the band) among other things. Fortunately, once you find it, you can just "follow" and get back to it faster.
HikesInGeologicTime
Trip Reports (43)

Thanks! Guess I gotta figure out how to outdo the band somehow, since I am rather fond of the name! :lol:
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
two lunches
14ers: 38  2 
13ers: 62 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

=D> =D> =D>
can't wait to listen to this!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
MaryinColorado
Trip Reports (14)

Post by MaryinColorado »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:41 pm After finally finishing the freaking fourteeners last September, I decided to move on and focus on other things in life...like writing about fourteeners, then recording audio of what I'd written.

These stories go back to when I started hiking, so we're talking decades ago, and therefore I would not be surprised if my most oft-repeated phrase in what I've written/recorded so far (five that are fully ready to go with another three in various stages of readiness, though I've only hit "Publish" on the first one so far) is, "I don't remember..." Additionally, there is little to no information contained in any of this that would be useful to anyone looking for the right way to climb fourteeners, although anyone who is looking for the wrong way and/or is an aspiring psych Ph.D. or M.D. eager to delve into research on unprocessed trauma may get some purely metaphorical mileage out of my rambling.

I'll also continue to post the written versions here for those who find my voice more grating than soporific and thus would rather use non-vocalized logorrhea to put themselves to sleep (first story is here), but for those who like to psych themselves out on the way to or even on the hike from a trailhead, here's your listening material. You should also be able to search for Of Mice and Mountaineers on Amazon Music, Pocket Casts, and Castbox; I went with Spotify because this is a labor of the aforementioned unprocessed trauma...er, I mean, love...and thus it seemed most prudent to go with a free hosting option so that I could at least break even.

Hopefully someone enjoys reading/hearing about these misadventures more than I "enjoyed" living them, and oh boy, is the bar ever in Hell, as the kids say!
Since I give you a hard time about this to the point that it is practically a tradition, I feel compelled to say:

NO, I will not be listening to the episodes about Pyramid or Little Bear. 🤣🤣🤣

But seriously, cool project! You're a great storyteller. Although can you really tell the story about the Needle without the support of Big Bird or finger-bird visuals?
HikesInGeologicTime
Trip Reports (43)

two lunches: Why, thank you! Your enthusiasm in particular definitely motivated me to sit down and actually get some writing/recording done!

Mary: How ‘bout Longs? That’s the other…uhh, another…SAR epic that’s been taking up most of my energy this week!

As for Needle, I suppose I could make either the bird or Big Bird and Oscar the featured image when I circle back around to that one… 😉
MaryinColorado
Trip Reports (14)

Post by MaryinColorado »

HikesInGeologicTime wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 11:17 am two lunches: Why, thank you! Your enthusiasm in particular definitely motivated me to sit down and actually get some writing/recording done!

Mary: How ‘bout Longs? That’s the other…uhh, another…SAR epic that’s been taking up most of my energy this week!

As for Needle, I suppose I could make either the bird or Big Bird and Oscar the featured image when I circle back around to that one… 😉
I had already blocked out Longs somehow. Weird! You'd think it'd be Pyramid I've blocked out, but I think that lives forever in the recesses of my mind whether I like it or not. Bahahaha!

Yes, that image will never cease to crack me up. It was TOO accurate!! So well done. Aaaand now I'm laughing again....... ha!
VeraUndertow
14ers: 58  5  7 
13ers: 393 67 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by VeraUndertow »

Fellow Asexual, Nonbinary/agender, nonpizza eater (I'm gluten intolerant tho) enjoying the unexpected representation.

Also when I searched for it it came up before the band or book readings after I got to Mount. Funny podcast, looking forward to more!
HikesInGeologicTime
Trip Reports (43)

MaryinColorado wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 1:59 pm I had already blocked out Longs somehow. Weird! You'd think it'd be Pyramid I've blocked out, but I think that lives forever in the recesses of my mind whether I like it or not. Bahahaha!
Welcome to my world! Misery loves company, hence the new (old?) material. :lol:
VeraUndertow wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:51 pm Fellow Asexual, Nonbinary/agender, nonpizza eater (I'm gluten intolerant tho) enjoying the unexpected representation.

Also when I searched for it it came up before the band or book readings after I got to Mount. Funny podcast, looking forward to more!
High five to another ace enby/agender nonpizzarian! I hope you’ve been able to find some good dietary workarounds, because it’s rather alarming how much food has bread in it.

And thank you! I’m hoping to release these once a week, though there might be 1-2 week breaks after particularly dramatic episodes (I’d venture to say I likely had a higher than average number of SAR incidents…) for effect as well as to maintain enough writing/editing room.
hokiehead
14ers: 52  2  1 
13ers: 50
Trip Reports (6)

Post by hokiehead »

Just listened to E1, Geo!

You're a great writer and have a fantastic narrative voice.
Insta: hokiehead
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Very cool!! Thanks for sharing!
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 244 37
Trip Reports (22)

Post by Will_E »

hokiehead wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:16 am Just listened to E1, Geo!

You're a great writer and have a fantastic narrative voice.
I second this, great podcast.

Can’t believe I’ve been mispronouncing Bierstadt all these years!