Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
sdicenso
Posts: 173
Joined: 8/22/2005
14ers: 38  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (2)
 

Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by sdicenso »

Sunday June 23rd! The Pikes Peak Highway will be closed due to the hill climb. If you hike up Barr Trail, you must hike back down. The Devils Playground trail is closed at the highway as well and no hikers will be allowed to continue to the summit past the playground. 🏎🏁
Attachments
CM_Photogrid_1718213327377.jpg
CM_Photogrid_1718213327377.jpg (254.15 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Stephanie Di Censo

In scientific work, those who refuse to go beyond fact rarely get as far as fact.
Thomas Huxley
marksilas
Posts: 51
Joined: 7/7/2015
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 432 4
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by marksilas »

Last year I went up Pikes Peak on race day from the Crags TH. I didn't cross the highway and I didn't use the Devils Playground Trail beyond Devils Playground. When I got to the playground, I turned right and followed the highway (not very closely) all the way to the summit. Didn't have any problems. Went into the summit house. The drivers that were finished were hanging out there. A lot of the summit area was closed to tourists, but it was still pretty neat. Just have to watch the weather so that you can get down before any storms.
SEE NEXT POST!!!
Last edited by marksilas on Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marksilas
Posts: 51
Joined: 7/7/2015
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 432 4
Trip Reports (0)
 

Re: Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by marksilas »

I just read this year's closure order. I think it is more restrictive than in years past:
The closure order reads:

(1) the entirety of Devil’s Playground Trail #753, which is a non-motorized hiking
trail, beginning at its intersection with Crags Trail (NFS Trail #664), continuing to
the trail’s intersection with Pikes Peak Highway (NFS Road #334), and
continuing until the trail’s intersection with NFS Trail #753.A, to the Summit of
Pikes Peak, as shown on Exhibit A; and ...

There will surely be a lot of hikers intending to access Devils Playground via trail #753, which has been a common practice in years past. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
User avatar
sdicenso
Posts: 173
Joined: 8/22/2005
14ers: 38  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by sdicenso »

marksilas wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:48 pm I just read this year's closure order. I think it is more restrictive than in years past:
The closure order reads:

(1) the entirety of Devil’s Playground Trail #753, which is a non-motorized hiking
trail, beginning at its intersection with Crags Trail (NFS Trail #664), continuing to
the trail’s intersection with Pikes Peak Highway (NFS Road #334), and
continuing until the trail’s intersection with NFS Trail #753.A, to the Summit of
Pikes Peak, as shown on Exhibit A; and ...

There will surely be a lot of hikers intending to access Devils Playground via trail #753, which has been a common practice in years past. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.
Yeah I don't know if they will be posting anything back there at the intersection between the Crags/Devils Playground trail as I was just there on Saturday. People don't care and won't do their research in the first place.
Stephanie Di Censo

In scientific work, those who refuse to go beyond fact rarely get as far as fact.
Thomas Huxley
User avatar
Dan_Suitor
Posts: 785
Joined: 4/23/2012
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by Dan_Suitor »

I went up a few times on race day before they implemented this absurd rule. You used to be able to cross at Devil’s Playground and hike to the summit. It was great fun! They say, “The purpose of this Order is to protect the public’s health and safety during the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb Event.”, but I’m not aware of a single hiker ever getting injured. You can still hike to Devil’s playground and watch the race for free, so I don’t think it is the promoters being concerned about lost money. Plus, there are very few hikers when you compare it to the number of spectators. Chances are it’s the lawyers that are the killjoys here. I might still go from Crags to Devil’s Playground to watch, but it won’t be the same.
Century Bound, eventually.
User avatar
dwoodward13
Posts: 778
Joined: 3/26/2011
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 159 6
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by dwoodward13 »

sdicenso wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:22 pm People don't care and won't do their research in the first place.
Only took the poster directly after this to confirm, and thats even when the closure info was 2 posts above theirs! lol
User avatar
sdicenso
Posts: 173
Joined: 8/22/2005
14ers: 38  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by sdicenso »

Dan_Suitor wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:57 am I went up a few times on race day before they implemented this absurd rule. You used to be able to cross at Devil’s Playground and hike to the summit. It was great fun! They say, “The purpose of this Order is to protect the public’s health and safety during the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb Event.”, but I’m not aware of a single hiker ever getting injured. You can still hike to Devil’s playground and watch the race for free, so I don’t think it is the promoters being concerned about lost money. Plus, there are very few hikers when you compare it to the number of spectators. Chances are it’s the lawyers that are the killjoys here. I might still go from Crags to Devil’s Playground to watch, but it won’t be the same.
Definitely attorneys and insurance underwriters.
Stephanie Di Censo

In scientific work, those who refuse to go beyond fact rarely get as far as fact.
Thomas Huxley
User avatar
sdicenso
Posts: 173
Joined: 8/22/2005
14ers: 38  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (2)
 

Re: Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by sdicenso »

dwoodward13 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:28 am
sdicenso wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:22 pm People don't care and won't do their research in the first place.
Only took the poster directly after this to confirm, and thats even when the closure info was 2 posts above theirs! lol
I don't see anything on mobile under "14er's, 13er's and other peaks". Maybe it shows different under different browsers or a computer (do people still use those?)...
Stephanie Di Censo

In scientific work, those who refuse to go beyond fact rarely get as far as fact.
Thomas Huxley
User avatar
dwoodward13
Posts: 778
Joined: 3/26/2011
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 159 6
Trip Reports (1)
 

Re: Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by dwoodward13 »

sdicenso wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:08 am
dwoodward13 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:28 am
sdicenso wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:22 pm People don't care and won't do their research in the first place.
Only took the poster directly after this to confirm, and thats even when the closure info was 2 posts above theirs! lol
I don't see anything on mobile under "14er's, 13er's and other peaks". Maybe it shows different under different browsers or a computer (do people still use those?)...
Someone copy/pasted the closure info in this thread. And then the post after yours was how they might go up and watch, not realizing (or caring) that the entire trail will be closed, not just closed past devil's playground. Thus proving your point that people don't care or won't do their research, even when that research is just reading the 5 items in this thread lol.
User avatar
Dan_Suitor
Posts: 785
Joined: 4/23/2012
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (3)
 

Re: Pikes Peak Access June 23rd

Post by Dan_Suitor »

dwoodward13 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:28 am
sdicenso wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:22 pm People don't care and won't do their research in the first place.
Only took the poster directly after this to confirm, and thats even when the closure info was 2 posts above theirs! lol
That would be me. You are wrong about me not doing any research. I did research before posting by looking at the order ( https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 181676.pdf ). This is evident by the quote in my post which comes directly from that order. What I misunderstood was where the Devil’s Playground trail started. I thought it started at the road, but this is not the case. I guess they really don’t want hikers up there. I have no idea how they can justify this as being a “Safety Concern” as they allow spectators at the Devil’s Playground.
Century Bound, eventually.
Post Reply