Columbia - This Sunday (5/19)

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainlover153
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Columbia - This Sunday (5/19)

Post by mountainlover153 »

Hey all -

I'm planning on hitting Columbia on Sunday and wanted to see if anyone wants to join. So far, I've solo-attempted the SE ridge 3 times and made it to 13,200. I turned around due to an incoming storm. I hike 1-2 mph in snow conditions (moderate pace). I am comfortable soloing the ridge, but I want to do the SW Couloir - and would prefer a buddy for that. I have soloed a couple of couloirs but I prefer not doing so.

If you're interested, I'd like us to start early. Freezing levels will be btwn 13.5K and 12.3K ft from now until Sunday morning. By mid-Sunday, freezing level is above 14K. So the Couloir is going to be best done at sunrise, or before - to then arrive on the ridge at sunrise (epic view), to get the coldest/firmest snow. I'd like to put one car at N Cottonwood Creek, and one at Harvard Lakes. If conditions suggest descending the couloir would be unfavorable, we could take the ridge down as a plan B and use that car to go back to Cottonwood Creek to get the other vehicle. If conditions are favorable, we'd descend the couloir.

Start time target would be 230-330AM (am a bit flexible here), and must be back at the car no later than 3PM (early work on Monday).

If you're interested, let me know!

Thanks,
Casey
---