2025 Ski Trip - Dolomites and Zermatt

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 183 2
Trip Reports (7)

2025 Ski Trip - Dolomites and Zermatt

Post by kwhit24 »

Hey everyone. I know it isn't mountaineering related but there is a variety of knowledge on here. My friends and I (15-20 people) are planning a 2025 ski trip to the Dolomites and Zermatt. Current plan is to fly to Venice, take train to the Dolomites, ski 4 days, travel via bus/train to Zermatt, ski 3 days, and then fly out of Zurich or Geneva. I believe we plan to stay on the Sella Ronda while in the Dolomites. The primary objective is skiing and enjoying what is around the small ski areas as our touristy things. Also we had looked at adding Chamonix but ultimately decided against it by a narrow margin to try and spend more time at two locations since Dolomiti Superski is so huge (same with Chamonix).

Few questions:

- Any cost effective recommendations for lodging while in Italy or Switzerland? We are going to book own individual rooms to help with cost and hopefully stay walking distance (or shuttle) to slopes. Looking at Selva di Val Gardena
- Any recommendations for non-skiing related activities? We are traveling via public transportation so where ever/whatever we do will be limited by that
- Since were flying into Venice to meet up before be head down to the Dolomites, my GF and I may have some time to look around especially if we arrive a day before. Any must sees in Venice?

Any advice or recommendations would be awesome especially if you have been able to go to either place before. Thanks!
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (4)

Re: 2025 Ski Trip - Dolomites and Zermatt

Post by dr_j »

Look into the options of home / apartment rentals, sometimes called Ferienwohnungen. Those tend to be better deals than individual hotel rooms, and are self-catering. Kind of like the Vrbo or Airbnb rentals in ski towns in the States.

For the Dolomites, a car rental in Venice is your best bet, as the area is very spread out. Val Gardena is predominantly German-speaking, which makes for interesting cuisine and a nifty blend of cultures.

Venice is testing out an entry fee this tourist season, it might persist a bit afterwards, we'll see. If you do rent the car, return it to the airport, then take the Alilaguna boat shuttle into St. Mark's Square or wherever your lodging is. The boat shuttle terminus is next to the car rental area.
IG: jc_solitude
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

kwhit24 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:50 am Hey everyone. I know it isn't mountaineering related but there is a variety of knowledge on here. My friends and I (15-20 people) are planning a 2025 ski trip to the Dolomites and Zermatt. Current plan is to fly to Venice, take train to the Dolomites, ski 4 days, travel via bus/train to Zermatt, ski 3 days, and then fly out of Zurich or Geneva. I believe we plan to stay on the Sella Ronda while in the Dolomites. The primary objective is skiing and enjoying what is around the small ski areas as our touristy things. Also we had looked at adding Chamonix but ultimately decided against it by a narrow margin to try and spend more time at two locations since Dolomiti Superski is so huge (same with Chamonix).

Few questions:

- Any cost effective recommendations for lodging while in Italy or Switzerland? We are going to book own individual rooms to help with cost and hopefully stay walking distance (or shuttle) to slopes. Looking at Selva di Val Gardena
- Any recommendations for non-skiing related activities? We are traveling via public transportation so where ever/whatever we do will be limited by that
- Since were flying into Venice to meet up before be head down to the Dolomites, my GF and I may have some time to look around especially if we arrive a day before. Any must sees in Venice?

Any advice or recommendations would be awesome especially if you have been able to go to either place before. Thanks!
Just plan on getting lost in Venice - and stay overnight, 'cause once the day-trippers leave, it's kind of a different city. Of course, winter will be off-season, so things should be even better. Also - beware the big tides - the town tends to get flooded when those come around.

I think you're going to be *very* pleasantly surprised by the lodging prices if you're used to the "standard" Western U.S. ski area lodging prices.
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Venice: San Marco square is top must see. St marks cathedral (in square) is remarkable.
Della salute basilica is on the list for architecture interest.
Just walk around anywhere, with or without map. Eat evening meal off the beaten path. (Pricey).
Grand Canal Rialto bridge.
yrastorza
Trip Reports (4)

Post by yrastorza »

Don't miss eating on the mountain huts on Zermatt.
Some are little hamlets where the herders take their animals up the mountain in the summer.
All are super-cozy and cuisine is alpine excellent (including desserts!).

https://www.virtuoso.com/travel/article ... ntain-huts
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

yrastorza wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:57 pm Don't miss eating on the mountain huts on Zermatt.
Some are little hamlets where the herders take their animals up the mountain in the summer.
All are super-cozy and cuisine is alpine excellent (including desserts!).

https://www.virtuoso.com/travel/article ... ntain-huts
This goes for the mountain huts in the Dolomiti as well. The food *should* be outstanding in all your destinations. Just try to get off the beaten path when selecting places to eat.

Oh - and in Venice, make sure to stop in at a bar in the afternoon for apertivo and enjoy some cicchetti!
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

Zermatt itself is an amazing hamlet with great in town dining and apres. But many non-skiing activities can actually be done in between runs:

- Taking the furnicular to Sunnega; ski to a Michelin star meal at Chez Vrony
- Gornergrat to the observatory, ski/lift down stopping at rifflelhaus
- Tockeneger-steg to Matterhorn glacier paradise, go to rooftop observatory, have a meal, ski down
- I saw people carrying traditional alpine sleds to the funicular too, I think you can go sledding

In town:
- traditional Swiss meal (lots of raclete and fondue) at Schäferstube
- gluwein and glugin at showboat bar, one of many good spots for apres
- Matterhorn museum

I used to travel to Zurich and Basel often for work. Zurich and Geneva are easily doable by train from Zermatt, and will depend on your preference for airline or fare price.

The Swiss do have the equivalent of I-70 ski traffic. Our ride home one Sunday evening on the SBB was insanely crowded and uncomfortable. I’d leave on a weekday or early on a Sunday

And, the views from town are to die for…
IMG_0194.jpeg
IMG_0194.jpeg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
OrngChocD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OrngChocD »

kwhit24 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:50 am I believe we plan to stay on the Sella Ronda while in the Dolomites. The primary objective is skiing and enjoying what is around the small ski areas as our touristy things.

Few questions:

My information is dated (early/mid 2000s). But FWIW -

Dolomiti Skiing:
I stayed in Santa Cristina with friends in a 2-storey rental house with a kitchen, several bedrooms with different bed and bath/toilet configurations (en suite, shared, ...). We were 6 adults and a 9 yo child. There was a housekeeper/landlady on site but she stayed out of our way.

I took an overnight train to Bolzano from elsewhere in Europe where I had flown earlier for other purposes, and then a bus from Bolzano to S Cristina. The others drove to S Cristina from within Europe. Their cars stayed parked the whole time that we were there. We used the local/regional buses to go to the slopes etc.

The skiing setup, slope ratings, etc. there is different from what I was familiar with in the US (resort skiing only). Remember to pay attention to the (last) lift timings, esp. if you're planning to ski the full Sellaronda.

As to non-skiing activities, we just hung out at our lodgings after skiing. Daylight is limited anyway in that season. It was great to meet old friends after many yrs, so we were fine staying in, cooking our dinner, and catching up. I don't eat out much due to personal preferences but if you have access to a kitchen(ette), you can have a hearty breakfast and prepare a packed lunch for the day before you head out. Eating in can save you money and time, and you don't have to get ready to go out in search of decent food early in the morning.

Venice:
Other than the usual famous landmarks, one thing I enjoyed was the tour of the glass factory at Murano. To describe the skills of the glassmakers as 'impressive' is inadequate. They could fashion a rearing horse out of molten glass with just a few blows and twists of their hands/equipment. You can get to Murano by a water taxi from Venice.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

OrngChocD wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:50 am
kwhit24 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:50 am I believe we plan to stay on the Sella Ronda while in the Dolomites. The primary objective is skiing and enjoying what is around the small ski areas as our touristy things.

Few questions:

As to non-skiing activities, we just hung out at our lodgings after skiing. Daylight is limited anyway in that season. It was great to meet old friends after many yrs, so we were fine staying in, cooking our dinner, and catching up. I don't eat out much due to personal preferences but if you have access to a kitchen(ette), you can have a hearty breakfast and prepare a packed lunch for the day before you head out. Eating in can save you money and time, and you don't have to get ready to go out in search of decent food early in the morning.
While I get that self-catering will save quite a bit of money, IMO one of the greatest parts of traveling to somewhere like Italy is to eat - I'd recommend trying out as many different restaurants as possible while there.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

It's been a decade or three, but I was stationed in Vicenza Italy in the 80's, and Germany in the 90s. During the winter months you're going to find the weather in Venice to be very damp and cold. However, I've found it to be fun at times with crowds being much less. I use to love intentionally getting lost in Venice just by taking random turns on not watching the signs posted at every piazza. Pretty easy to get back on track by looking up and following the signs. Lodging in Padua will be much cheaper than Venice. If you can swing it, Venice/Piazza San Marco really comes alive on NYE and during Carnevale/Mardi Gras. The weekends/Saturday nights leading up to Ash Wednesday are absolutely insane, something you'll never forget. As far as skiing goes, there are some ski areas within a few hours of Venice. I think you'll find lodging/skiing cheaper in Italy and Austria. Austria is absolutely loaded with ski resorts. My gf and I did a four country loop through the Alps of Germany, Austria, Italy, and Switzerland this last summer. We loved it all, but found Switzerland to be very pricey. Our BnB in Grindelwald was $250 per night vs. $100 per night for our BnB in Austria near the Grossglockner. You should be able to find plenty of smaller, (rustic) gasthaus or pensione that are reasonably priced...
kmikwilliams
14ers: 58 
13ers: 155 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kmikwilliams »

We took a 5 day ski vacation in 2020 (right before the world shut down and the Italian lift sides were closed) through southern France including Trés Valleés and Chamonix into Switzerland including Zermatt, Verbier/Bruson, 4 Vallees, and Zermatt. Our style is to ski all day, eat local, move to the next base, and then rest for next day. Normally we pack our lunches, but eating on mountain was so cheap and such a great experience.

Although the areas are large, we always stayed off the main base as they are all well connected for cheaper lodging. For instance in Chamonix we stayed at the base of Grands Montet Argentiere, started there in the morning and took the bus over to Chamonix for the afternoon. In Zermatt, we stayed in Täsch and took the train in to Zermatt in the morning.
"Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." ~Lou Holtz