Shavano/Tabeguache, Sunshine/Redcloud - March, 2024

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
BobAugenthaler
Posts: 6
Joined: 1/21/2024
14ers: 28  4 
Trip Reports (0)
 
Contact:

Shavano/Tabeguache, Sunshine/Redcloud - March, 2024

Post by BobAugenthaler »

Is anyone interested in climbing either Shavano/Tabeguache or Sunshine/Redcloud during March, 2024?
Weekends work better, but I do have availability during some weekdays.
I've climbed 26 14ers since September, 2023, including two this winter.
If you are interested or would like to connect for future climbs, just message me back!
You can also find me on Instagram (bobaugenthaler1983) and Facebook (Bob Augenthaler)...I check these more frequently.
User avatar
daway8
Posts: 1314
Joined: 8/24/2017
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)
 

Re: Shavano/Tabeguache, Sunshine/Redcloud - March, 2024

Post by daway8 »

I was actually just getting ready to start writing up a post about potentially doing Redcloud/Sunshine this Saturday March 9th since we're down to the last two Saturdays in winter now.

I kicked off this winter with an interesting late December solo summit of Longs across a fairly loaded Narrows and later did Shav/Tab with a group (though I had to come back for Tab). I've also pulled off seven 13er summits this winter (including an unexpected pair yesterday despite the iffy forecast) and also had a couple failed attempts when I was solo and conditions were really tough.

My thought is doing Sunshine East Ridge from the Mill Creek Campground (plowed in winter). With Redcloud it's a little under 10mi RT but well over 5k gain, so it's wicked steep right out of the gate.

Recent satellite photos show the steep slopes down low are pretty bare right now. More loaded up high but those slopes are much lower angle.

Anyways, not trying to hijack your thread but figured no need to start a separate RCS thread now that you've posted this so I figured I'd just advertise this route a little and see if maybe we can rally a team.

Will of course need to monitor the weather since there's currently a small storm forecast for Thurs/Fri down there but as of the moment Saturday is looking good and avy danger seems likely to be low-moderate plus this route is considered generally relatively safe anyways.

I'm happy to either head up a group or join in with others. Feel free to reach out - this is a great one to have some extra boots (snowshoes/skis/etc) on the ground to assist with trenching.

Let's finish winter strong!!!
User avatar
BobAugenthaler
Posts: 6
Joined: 1/21/2024
14ers: 28  4 
Trip Reports (0)
 
Contact:

Re: Shavano/Tabeguache, Sunshine/Redcloud - March, 2024

Post by BobAugenthaler »

Thanks for the response! I would be up for Redcloud/Sunshine from Mills this Saturday 3/9, if avalanche and weather conditions are favorable.
User avatar
daway8
Posts: 1314
Joined: 8/24/2017
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)
 

Re: Shavano/Tabeguache, Sunshine/Redcloud - March, 2024

Post by daway8 »

Sorry, the weather forecast has been going all over the place - over the past week I've seen anywhere from 2" to 17" forecast for Friday. Plus checking the forecast for all the places I'd have to drive through to get there, those are also fluctuating all around and the avy danger is set to spike up plus a few sites are even saying possible snow on Saturday.

That's too far to drive with such an unstable/unpredictable forecast. If it was right outside my door I'd wait till last minute and likely go for it but, as is, I don't want to drive all that way and risk a potentially wasted weekend this close to the end of winter.

Might possibly consider it for the following (and final) weekend of winter depending on how things play out (after that I'll lose interest in this pair until next winter since I've already done them twice).
Post Reply