Fisher's Peak summit hike opening with Governor

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Fisher's Peak summit hike opening with Governor

Post by Matt »

Wimyers wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:43 pm If Mr. Polis does not submit his GPS tracking or Strava segment it cannot be considered a legitimate ascent.
I smell an FKT...

Former NM governor Gary Johnson summited Everest and finished the Leadville 100. Polis needs to step it up.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Matt wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:49 pm
Wimyers wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:43 pm If Mr. Polis does not submit his GPS tracking or Strava segment it cannot be considered a legitimate ascent.
I smell an FKT...

Former NM governor Gary Johnson summited Everest and finished the Leadville 100. Polis needs to step it up.
I think former Colorado Senator Mark Udall is a highest 100 finisher at the very least. Not sure what else he's done.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

I just asked someone who was there and they replied that the hike that day was the top 3 summit miles accessed after ranch road access.
No big conspiracy but weird IMHO how media reports such things.
(As a Gen Xer, I was cynical but in the end also don't care. Sorry for the waste!)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Jon Frohlich wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:39 pmI think former Colorado Senator Mark Udall is a highest 100 finisher at the very least. Not sure what else he's done.
Quite a bit. He's in books on Himalayan climbing history.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 31 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

Skimo95 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:14 am If boomers knew how to use google they’d find this…
Polis joined CPW Director Jeff Davis and DNR Executive Director Dan Gibbs on Sunday for a hike to the 9,633-foot summit of Fishers Peak. Fishers Peak State Park is Colorado's 42nd and newest state park and encompasses 19, 200 acres. It was opened in October of 2020.

"It’s a challenging and beautiful trail and I encourage Coloradans to come to Trinidad and enjoy our new world-class state park,” Gov. Polis said. "I applaud Colorado Parks and Wildlife for making this happen so soon. Expanding access to the outdoors through our amazing state parks was a promise I made when I became governor. Fishers Peak State Park is proof of our commitment. Just as Fishers Peak was a beacon for our ancestors, this world-class park and trail to the summit will attract recreationists, and visitors and provide a fantastic experience for many Coloradans.”
Classy
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Mo Siegel (Celestial Seasonings founder) and Charlie Ergen (Echostar/Dish founder) have each climbed all the 14ers. Having lots of money can be an advantage when pursuing a hobby like this.

FYI, here's the CPW news release for the trail opening. Nowhere does it say that Polis hiked it. https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/N ... ewsID=3990
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

People with high level jobs where they are expected to be on call all the time, executives of states or nations, don't have the same luxury of taking off the grid vacations, even half days, that meer mortals do. If there was a mass shooting, chemical spill, industrial accident, protest, etc, such executive would have to be available immediately and would maybe have to relocate to location maybe hundreds of miles away. I don't really know or care how much of a small peak Polis hiked for a photo op and fun, but I give the man credit for doing so despite a demanding schedule.
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Ptglhs wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:04 am People with high level jobs where they are expected to be on call all the time, executives of states or nations, don't have the same luxury of taking off the grid vacations, even half days, that meer mortals do. If there was a mass shooting, chemical spill, industrial accident, protest, etc, such executive would have to be available immediately and would maybe have to relocate to location maybe hundreds of miles away. I don't really know or care how much of a small peak Polis hiked for a photo op and fun, but I give the man credit for doing so despite a demanding schedule.
Attention Perry: Someone has hacked your account. Important leaders play golf when the s**t's going down.
If he hiked Fisher's, I'm glad and kind of jealous he beat me to it.
I just don't see our governor hiking any 14er besides Evans from the parking lot.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List